OneDrive for Business contents will be deleted in 7 days - Active User

Final notice received for an active licensed 365 staff member indicating the user's OneDrive for Business is scheduled for deletion.

I have a user whom is active within Active Directory, their account is not scheduled for deletion and with AD account is not set to expire. However, the users' manager is receiving a final notice indicating the user's OneDrive for Business is scheduled for deletion.

How do I stop the account from being permanently deleted?

Kind regards

Dawn

Answer
Answer

Hi DawnValle_71,

By default, retention period of the profile which is masked for deletion is 30 days. However, we can both verify and change it via the following SharePoint Online management Shell.

1.Connect-SPOService -Url https://contoso-admin.sharepoint.com -Credential (Get-Credential)

2.(Get-SPOTenant).OrphanedPersonalSitesRetentionPeriod

3.Set-SPOTenant -OrphanedPersonalSitesRetentionPeriod 365 (the maximum is 10 years)

You can find more details in the following article:

OneDrive for Business – Configurable Retention Period for Orphaned OneDrives!

The profile and OneDrive cleanup process in SharePoint Online

In your situation, you can extend the retention period to prevent the affected user's site collection being deleted. (The maximum is 10 years)

Meanwhile, my Site Clean Up Timer Job won't run unless you have ever DONE some operation for the affected account. For example, you delete the account from AD which is syned to AAD, then SharePoint Online. You can check with other admins about this.

Disclaimer: Microsoft provides no assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for the information you receive from the third-party linked sites or any support related to technology.​

Regards,

Sky

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 1, 2024 Views 14,434 Applies to: