OneDrive docs locked for editing by another user

My users are getting a message in their OneDrive for Business accounts that their documents are locked for editing by another user.  They have not shared the document.  This message is happening when they try to save, rename, or move the document.

I have checked every aspect of their profile I can think of, including version histories and the document settings and the user is the only person to have touched the document.  For one user, it was a new document that she had just created and shared.  After closing it, she tried to move it to another location but it wouldn't let her.

Any idea why my users are not able to work with their OneDrive documents and why it says locked for editing by another user when they're the only user in their OneDrive?

Hi Crystal,

Here are some suggestions for your users :
If they use office online and OneDrive online: 
Try to restart the browser and start a private window and see the outcomes.

If they are using Office client: 
Try to open the file form Recent. Open Word > choose the file from Recent on the left and see if it still locked.
When close the Office applications, open the Task Manager(start key > type task manager) and end related task of Office.

Here are some adjustment might help:
1. Disable Check in and Check out in their OneDrive online and see if the issue persists: log in to Portal >OneDrive> Return to Classic OneDrive(left bottom of the page) > Settings(top-right of the page) > Site Libraries and Lists > choose the folder that have this issue > Versioning Settings > choose NO under Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited? > OK.
2. Check the status of  Use office to sync Office files that I open in OneDrive and it should be enabled by defult and please keep it enabled. right-click on OneDrive icon and select Settings>Office, check the Use office to sync Office files that I open. Here is a description of this feather: Use Office 2016 to sync Office files that I open 

Regards,
Alex

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Crystal,

Have you fixed the issue? If you still need support, just post back.

Regards,
Alex

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, Alex.  I'll give this a try and get back to you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Crystal,

How did it go? Have you tested it yet? Welcome to post back if you still have concerns?

Regards,
Alex

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 3, 2024 Views 16,195 Applies to: