OneDrive Camera Roll sub-folders?

I recently updated my OneDrive iOS app to version 10.31.1.  Within the app I have been using the auto camera upload feature for years.  All photos have always been uploaded to the following "OneDrive > SkyDrive camera roll" location in the cloud.  I noticed that my photos that have been uploaded this month (September) have now been added to a year > monthly sub-folder like the following: "OneDrive > SkyDrive camera roll > 2018 > 09".  Can someone provide any details or guidance on this change and if there will be support for automatically rearranging older files into year/month sub-folders as well?

I have thousands of files in the root SkyDrive camera roll folder and they have become a bit unwieldy when launching the File Explorer for the sync'd folder on my local PC.  If auto-uploaded photos/videos will now be organized into sub-folders, it would be nice to have all past uploads organized in a similar manner.

Question Info

Last updated April 3, 2020 Views 3,876 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi j00v,

Your issue with auto camera upload in OneDrive is out of the Microsoft Community's scope of support. Because of this, I recommend submitting your concern to our OneDrive Email support. Follow these steps to do so:  Sign in to OneDrive.com using any browser.  Click the ? icon (Help icon) on the top banner of the page. Select Email OneDrive support, submit your concern and then follow the prompts to request support.  You can also visit OneDrive help center for additional help.

If you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to post back here.

Regards,

Mark

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

@OP: Have you asked OD support and what was their answer?

@MS: It is a questionable approach to introduce a random folder structure that is inconsistently applied from a random point forward (but not to the existing data). A folder structure by month is entirely meaningless to me. How can I switch that off?

Sorry this didn't help.

I contacted MS about this.  Here's what I got back:

"The issue that you have described is a known issue that OneDrive development teams are working to correct ASAP"

Sounds a bit like a canned response, but the implication is that they will at least offer the option to turn off folders.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I contacted MS about this.  Here's what I got back:

"The issue that you have described is a known issue that OneDrive development teams are working to correct ASAP"

Sounds a bit like a canned response, but the implication is that they will at least offer the option to turn off folders.

Thanks, Marty, for following up on this!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi j00v,

Your issue with auto camera upload in OneDrive is out of the Microsoft Community's scope of support. Because of this, I recommend submitting your concern to our OneDrive Email support. Follow these steps to do so:  Sign in to OneDrive.com using any browser.  Click the ? icon (Help icon) on the top banner of the page. Select Email OneDrive support, submit your concern and then follow the prompts to request support.  You can also visit OneDrive help center for additional help.

If you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to post back here.

Regards,

Mark

As per comments further down this has been identified as an issue, are you able to reference a central location where work on this issue can be tracked. This is an issue for myself as well as starting to appear as an issue for others in the organisation I work for. 

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Take a look in the setting of the ios app..goves you an upload folder choice for new uploads..

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

So far, so good....

in meantime I'm good with this change, instead one folder with thousand photos I have every month separate.

It's better, I think (thanks, Microsoft, *not* sarscastic)

Also, I sorted also older months/years in same structure.

Maybe I can have another wish: pls Microsoft try to better inform your customers :-)

Sorry this didn't help.

Take a look in the setting of the ios app..goves you an upload folder choice for new uploads..
thanks, i found that setting. now i just have to clear up the mess it made meanwhile...

Sorry this didn't help.

So far, so good....

in meantime I'm good with this change, instead one folder with thousand photos I have every month separate.

It's better, I think (thanks, Microsoft, *not* sarscastic)

Also, I sorted also older months/years in same structure.

Maybe I can have another wish: pls Microsoft try to better inform your customers :-)

one folder with thousands of photos is certainly not ideal, but better than having many folders called e.g. “02”, only distinguishable by their parent folder that indicates the year 😂

also, if i am looking for a photo i might remember the broad context i took it in and browse for that event (e.g. holiday at xxx 3 years ago) before finding that specific image, a folder structure would render this approach useless.

but that's just messy me ;)

Sorry this didn't help.

Anyway, just before Onedrive, Apple also split photos to different directories by 1000 files.

So, you will stuck with similar problem...

But, there's a solution for that.

Assume you're windows user with OneDrive installed, you can open "photos" folder, then in search box type "*.jpg OR *.mov" et voila :-) have ALL photos & movies at once.

Also IMHO I more often look for photos from specific year/month, which is better in this structure :-)

Sorry this didn't help.