One drive online files take space on Macbook

I have One Drive installed on my MacBook.

When right-click on the One Drive icon in my Finder and click “get info” it says under size:

172.298.589.945 bytes (39,5 GB on disk) for 57.162 items.

So the way I interpret this is that only 39,5 GB should take space on my Macbook disk. Which is in line with the documents I store offline on my mac (some pictures and music)

However, when I look at the actual disk space used (I click apple icon on home screen, click “about this mac” and then under Storage tab it shows me that my stored documents use 178,4GB. And with that my Mac storage is almost full.

I have no other documents on my Mac, I keep everything in One Drive or ICloud. Icloud is totally online, no files are offline. And One Drive I have only a few files offline.

So why does it seem to take all my storage nevertheless?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Mirjam,

Thanks for posting here.

To confirm, you have enabled Files On-Demand feature and most of the files in OneDrive have the first status(Online-only), right?

We have tested on Catalina, and the result matches your description. I think it is an identification issue between Mac Storage calculation and Files On-Demand. It most likely counts 172.298.589.945 bytes(172GB) into the whole storage, but if you right-click those files->info, it will show 0 bytes on disk, so we don't need to worry that the storage is being exceeded.

However, given the situation, you could also click the OneDrive icon on the upper-right corner and click more, then click Send Feedback and let OneDrive product team notice this behaviour, as Microsoft is committed to continuously improving your experience with our products.

If I misunderstand your meaning or you have any experience to share, please feel free to post back.

Have a nice day: )

Best regards,

Oliver

-------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Mirjam,

Thanks for posting here.

To confirm, you have enabled Files On-Demand feature and most of the files in OneDrive have the first status(Online-only), right?

We have tested on Catalina, and the result matches your description. I think it is an identification issue between Mac Storage calculation and Files On-Demand. It most likely counts 172.298.589.945 bytes(172GB) into the whole storage, but if you right-click those files->info, it will show 0 bytes on disk, so we don't need to worry that the storage is being exceeded.

However, given the situation, you could also click the OneDrive icon on the upper-right corner and click more, then click Send Feedback and let OneDrive product team notice this behaviour, as Microsoft is committed to continuously improving your experience with our products.

If I misunderstand your meaning or you have any experience to share, please feel free to post back.

Have a nice day: )

Best regards,

Oliver

Dear Oliver,

thanks for your reply. But I am not sure if this helps me.

I have indeed most of my files as online-only files (similar to the first status in your screenshot), yet my Mac storage is really full with documents. And I have no other documents stored on it. Also if I click in the Mac Storage screen on Manage, I see documents on my Mac that should be online stored only in One Drive.

I am still on Mojave as I cannot upgrade my Mac to Catalina due to lack of storage! 

I am happy to share some screenshots if this helps - but prefer to do that in a private chat as this contains personal data.

Please advise,

thanks

Mirjam

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mirjam,

Thanks for the updates. We did some tests on that but without luck, we could not reproduce the issue you met. Could you tell me how much storage taken by OneDrive is shown in the Manage Storage dialog if you click File Browser? ( Apple->About this Mac->Storage->Manage->File Browser)

I have initiated PM invitation for you, and you could share some screenshots via this link.

Since you mentioned you need to keep some files on the device, we will help you narrow down the issue cause first, before try unlinking OneDrive or Free up storage space.

We appreciate your understanding and patience: )

Best regards,

Oliver

If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mirjam,

Thanks for the updates. We did some tests on that but without luck, we could not reproduce the issue you met. Could you tell me how much storage taken by OneDrive is shown in the Manage Storage dialog if you click File Browser? ( Apple->About this Mac->Storage->Manage->File Browser)

I have initiated PM invitation for you, and you could share some screenshots via this link.

Since you mentioned you need to keep some files on the device, we will help you narrow down the issue cause first, before try unlinking OneDrive or Free up storage space.

We appreciate your understanding and patience: )

Best regards,

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

thanks for looking into this. I will send the screenshots through the private link.

The file browser as above reflects 172,3 GB for One Drive. I will include this in a screenshot.

Thanks

Mirjam 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mirjam,

Thanks for the updates, and we have received the info you provided.

1. Those folders having online-only status doesn't mean all files in that folder have the same status, otherwise, it won't display 38.7 GB on the disk.

2. Files in OneDrive are 172GB, more than 121GB(the total capacity of Macintosh HD), so I think those files on-demand are not likely to take up local storage.

We did a test on Mojave with a OneDrive account that contains 20GB files, after signing in OneDrive on that Mac, the total available storage didn't change, although it displays 20GB when we navigate to Manage storage page, as we discussed before, it's an identification issue of Mac Finder.

Anyway, to help determine the cause of the problem, I suggest you select and right-click the OneDrive client folder->Free up space. Then all files in the folder would be stored online-only, and this is also to save the space for upgrading MacOS.

If files with online-only icon still take up the local storage, we could only suggest you unlink OneDrive(click OneDrive icon on the ribbon->More->Preferences->Account->Unlink ) then delete those files, after upgrading to Catalina, you could sign in OneDrive again.

Best regards,

Oliver

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mirjam,

Thanks for the updates, and we have received the info you provided.

1. Those folders having online-only status doesn't mean all files in that folder have the same status, otherwise, it won't display 38.7 GB on the disk.

2. Files in OneDrive are 172GB, more than 121GB(the total capacity of Macintosh HD), so I think those files on-demand are not likely to take up local storage.

We did a test on Mojave with a OneDrive account that contains 20GB files, after signing in OneDrive on that Mac, the total available storage didn't change, although it displays 20GB when we navigate to Manage storage page, as we discussed before, it's an identification issue of Mac Finder.

Anyway, to help determine the cause of the problem, I suggest you select and right-click the OneDrive client folder->Free up space. Then all files in the folder would be stored online-only, and this is also to save the space for upgrading MacOS.

If files with online-only icon still take up the local storage, we could only suggest you unlink OneDrive(click OneDrive icon on the ribbon->More->Preferences->Account->Unlink ) then delete those files, after upgrading to Catalina, you could sign in OneDrive again.

Best regards,

Oliver

Dear Oliver,

First of all Happy New Year! Due to the holidays it took me a while to get back on this.

I tried to free up space as you suggested, now all my files are only online. 

When I check my storage says now 63,48 GB available of 121,12 GB - so it seems to has freed up some space. But under Documents it still states I am using 180,38 GB space. And it shows big files which are only online according to One Drive. So it still looks weird. 

At least I managed to do the upgrade to Catalina, so that is something. But even after the upgrade is is still showing the same. 

I really do not know what else to try, apart from unlinking my One Drive completely. Can I make a back-up somewhere before I do this? I do not want to loose all my files through a mistake.

thanks again

Mirjam 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

To back up files, you could just check OneDrive website, where all files uploaded successfully are shown. As I mentioned before, the known display issue won't affect normal work of Mac and OneDrive, but you could send feedback to Apple to let them notice this weird behaviour. And IMO unlinking may not make sense to this problem, since all files in OneDrive have been online only.

Best regards,

Oliver

Sorry this didn't help.

same problem here

I have about 37gb on my OneDrive. According to the information in the onedrive folder, only 57.4 MB are locally on my macbook pro (first screenshot below). But in the macOS storage manager, it appears as if the 37GB is locally (taking up storage space) - second screenshot (macos shows that the files that are taking up more space locally are the files that are on my OneDrive and are not locally on the macbook pro). Locally I have close to 0MB of documents. The 37GB shown in the macos storage manager is the OneDrive files that shouldn't be counted as "taking up space"

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi sirisy,

If you have turned on the Files On-Demand feature, you could unlink OneDrive(click OneDrive icon on the ribbon->More->Preferences->Account->Unlink ) then delete the sync folder, to see the result whether those files take up local space. Also you could delete local OneDrive sync folder then reset OneDrive and see the result. Before doing this, make sure those files have been sync successfully.

Best regards,

Oliver

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue,I am very sure that the cloud files on onedrive are taking up my Mac local disk, although they are displayed in the cloud. It's not a calculation error or a display error of finder.

I guess the working principle of onedrive for Mac is to store all files in the Mac and hide the files that are not downloaded to the local. As a result, if I unlink my onedrive to my Mac, this part of hidden files will become "other" and continue to occupy my storage space unless I reset my OSX.

I have also try to turn off the Files On-Demand feature, then these original file will still become "other" and continue to occupy my storage space, even if I have emptied the wastebasket.

You can see the picture above. The sum of all the folder sizes(1.04GB+7.85GB+1.13GB+361.2MB+167MB+54MB+7.2MB+2.7MB+1.1MB+893KB) in the document type is totally different from the actual result(28.91)!

Could you please repair this problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 23, 2020 Views 7,500 Applies to: