One Drive for Business - Syncing issues

Dear Team,

I am posting here hoping to get some further insights

I know One drive is not designed for Large scale files/folders but would it be able to cope with approximately 170,000Files and 15,000 folders?

Would any syncing issues be expected at this point?

I am troubleshooting one occasion and I cant seem to find a solution, unless I manually upload files on SharePoint

Is there any solution within one drive when you reached such item number?

Kind Regards,

Charalambous

Dear Charalambous,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. It will be a pleasure working with you,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble syncing your OneDrive for Business files and folders. There are some possible causes and solutions for this issue.

One possible cause is that you have exceeded the sync limits for OneDrive for Business. According to the Microsoft documentation, the maximum number of files that can be synced for a library is 300,000. However, this limit may vary depending on factors such as hardware configuration, network bandwidth, and file types. Therefore, it is recommended to keep the number of files well below the limit to avoid sync problems.

Another possible cause is that you are using an outdated version of the OneDrive for Business sync app. You should make sure that you have the latest version of the app installed on your computer. You can check for updates by following these steps:

• On a PC, you should see a white or blue OneDrive cloud icon in the notification area, at the far right of the taskbar.

• Right-click the OneDrive icon and select Settings.

• On the About tab, select Check for updates.

A third possible cause is that there are some sync conflicts or errors between your local and server copies of files. You can resolve these conflicts or errors by following these steps3:

• Right-click the OneDrive icon and select View sync problems.

• An error dialog box opens that describes any current sync problems and suggests actions you can take to fix them.

• Follow the instructions in the dialog box to resolve each sync problem.

If none of these solutions work, you can try to repair the sync connection for your OneDrive for Business libraries by following these steps:

• Right-click the OneDrive icon and select Settings.

• On the Account tab, select Unlink this PC.

• Sign in to your account again and select the libraries you want to sync.

I hope this helps you fix your OneDrive for Business sync issue.

To notify us and have us get back to you, simply reply to this post.

Thank you,

Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You will probably have trouble syncing this many files either way unless you do it in smaller amounts, uploading them via the browser far too often fails when adding multiple files with any decent size as we have tried this at our company (had to break them down to groups of 10 files and still sometimes we would have it fail and then we would have to check which ones didn't go up and reupload them.) Instead I had to sync our share folder to their windows explorer and they could add their files to that (we are still having some issues that way as well with corruption of files even though its meant to sync over time and persist through computers being turned off or internet drops.)

But I have also has issues putting 200 or more video files up to the shared folder to make them accessible to our clients as we have gotten corruption both putting the files up to the shared folder and the clients or myself pulling those files back down to a local computer, sometimes they will come back correct other times have to download them a few times to get the whole video that works correctly, like doesn't freeze, show half the video then show rainbow static for the last half or it won't even play even thought the file size and has the video length in the details. Still trying to figure out how to fix this for our company. And also checking that many files to make sure they hadn't corrupted in transfer would be a nightmare at least in my opinion.

I guess you could check with a file hash but still that would take some experience, which not everyone has.

So your best bet would be to sync the Folder and try adding a bunch of folders at a time via windows explorer to your online sync'd folder and hope for the best and maybe run a hash against a downloaded copy from the online folder to the original files to check they match. But manually adding them via the browser is in my opinion the worst option, at least it was for us.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 12, 2024 Views 71 Applies to: