Office - "Read Only" difference across versions

In our Office we primarily use Office 2016 for both Windows PCs and Macs.

When a user goes to open a file another person has open already it prompts for "Read Only".

This is how we like it work and are used to it working.

A new PC was added to the Office. The user had Office 365.

One user had a Word document open in Office 2016.

The other user opened the same document in Office 365.

They were not prompted for "Read Only" and were able to make edits that overwrite user one's edits whenever they click Save.

I thought it might be due to differences in MS Office versions across computers.

I read this from Microsoft support:

You'll still be coauthoring, as long as you're an Office 365 subscriber, using one of these versions of Word:

• Word 2016 for Windows
  • Word 2016 for Mac
  • Word on a mobile device (Android, iOS, or Windows)

If you're using an older version of Word, or if you're not a subscriber, you can still edit the document at the same time others are working in it, but you won't have real-time collaboration. To see others' changes and share yours, you'll have to save the document from time to time.

I installed Office 2019 in place of Office 365 on the computer and I'm still having the same issue.

I also can't find anywhere to change co-authoring or collaboration settings in Office 2019.

How can I get it to return to "Read Only" using Office 2019 and Office 2016? 

Have you investigated how you are sharing opened documents? For example, do you want a doc to be mutually edited in Real Time or only read?

I would look at the following: File then Share

Alt FZ

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi AdminLRRD,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

I have read your post carefully, but I might still confirm with you about your working scenario. Could you tell us where do you save your shared documents?

If you are using the Office 365 Business subscription. You can upload your files to OneDrive for business and use check in, check out and version history to co-authoring. I hope these can be a workaround for you. Details are as followers:

1.       Upload files you want to co-edit to OneDrive.

2.       Open OneDrive for Business in the website, using check out if you would like to edit document and prevent others see it. choose Document>More>Advanced>Check out.

3.       Open document and edit it, you can also open it in desktop app. Click save after editing.

4.       If you use desktop word to edit it, you will be asked to check in when you close document. Choose check in if you want others see it. If you use word online, return to OneDrive and choose Check out file>More>Advanced>check in.

5.       You can see your previous document in Version history if you want to compare contents.

For more details, see these articles: Check out, check in, ordiscard changes to files in a library.

Top questions about checkout, check in, and versions.

Regards,

Robinson

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi AdminLRRD

Have the issue been solved? Could you please share us more details with your working scenario?

Regards,

Robinson

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 101 Applies to: