Office PP 2013 - Setup bootstrapper has stopped working

I have downloaded the Office Pro Plus 2013 ISO from the download page and when I try to install it, it show me the first screen saying that the setup is preparing and then I get the error message "Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper has stopped working". Could anyone help?

I have also read this article, but I do not have Citrix installed: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeitpro/thread/88a6f422-0bac-4d0d-8279-95c5afbbc95a/

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. As per the issue description you are unable to install Office 2013 Professional Plus on the computer.

I would like to ask few questions on the issue:

1. From where did you purchase Office 2013 Professional Plus program?

2. Did you enter your work email address and program code to download Office 2013 program?

3. Are you trying to install the program on single system or group of computers?

4. Do you have earlier versions of Office installed on the system?

If you have multiple versions of Office installed on the system then, uninstall all the versions of Office installed on the system, boot the system in clean boot mode and then try to install Office 2013 Professional Plus program and check:

Step 1:

Use the Microsoft Fixit tool to remove the older version of Office installed on the computer from the following article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179

Note: In case you are using a 64-bit operating system, save the fixit tool on the system and then run it from the saved location.

Ensure you have the disc/download link and the product key to re-install Office.

Step 2:

Run the automated troubleshooter from the following article to remove all traces of the new Office installed on the system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501

Once the uninstallation is complete reboot the system

Note: If you are using a 64-bit operating system, save the fixit tool on the system and then run it from the saved location.

Step 3:

Boot the system in clean boot and then try to install the Office 2013 program and check:

Clean boot is performed to disable all startup programs and 3rd party services on the machine and check if they are conflicting with the Office installation.

Restart the computer in Windows Clean Boot and then try to install Microsoft Office 2013 program. Refer the following article on ‘How to restart the computer in Clean Boot’:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure to restart the system back to Normal mode after installing the Office 2013 program in clean boot.

I hope this fixes the issue. If you have any queries or issues with Office programs let us know and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. As per the issue description you are unable to install Office 2013 Professional Plus on the computer.

I would like to ask few questions on the issue:

1. From where did you purchase Office 2013 Professional Plus program?

2. Did you enter your work email address and program code to download Office 2013 program?

3. Are you trying to install the program on single system or group of computers?

4. Do you have earlier versions of Office installed on the system?

If you have multiple versions of Office installed on the system then, uninstall all the versions of Office installed on the system, boot the system in clean boot mode and then try to install Office 2013 Professional Plus program and check:

Step 1:

Use the Microsoft Fixit tool to remove the older version of Office installed on the computer from the following article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179

Note: In case you are using a 64-bit operating system, save the fixit tool on the system and then run it from the saved location.

Ensure you have the disc/download link and the product key to re-install Office.

Step 2:

Run the automated troubleshooter from the following article to remove all traces of the new Office installed on the system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501

Once the uninstallation is complete reboot the system

Note: If you are using a 64-bit operating system, save the fixit tool on the system and then run it from the saved location.

Step 3:

Boot the system in clean boot and then try to install the Office 2013 program and check:

Clean boot is performed to disable all startup programs and 3rd party services on the machine and check if they are conflicting with the Office installation.

Restart the computer in Windows Clean Boot and then try to install Microsoft Office 2013 program. Refer the following article on ‘How to restart the computer in Clean Boot’:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure to restart the system back to Normal mode after installing the Office 2013 program in clean boot.

I hope this fixes the issue. If you have any queries or issues with Office programs let us know and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Thank you for the reply, I've applied for a 60-day trial of the program from Microsoft's site and I've used my own email address. I am using this on my personal laptop. I have tried all the steps above before however it didn't work and I've only had Office 365 Home Premium Preview installed before.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go into your "Services" in your settings and disable your Print Spooler - just right-click on it and then click stop. My install hung at about 90%, and when I disabled the spooler it finally installed.

Hope it helps.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

REMOVE THE ANTIVIRUS. I had tried everything listed here to no avail. Just about the only thing I hadn't tried was punching the screen. luckily before I did that I decided to remove the anti-virus(Kaspersky). Whew that saved me $200 for a new monitor.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you very much. It worked for me

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Anula D'souza,

I just followed the above three steps u have mentioned but ,my installation is not complete just stopped in the middle .I'm getting SETUP BOOTS TRAPPER IS STOPPED WORKING .will u please help me and can i know how to sequence MS office 2013 in AppV.

Thank you.

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

As I understand you are unable to install Office 2013 program on the computer and receive an error message while installing it.

Refer to the knowledge based article mentioned which contains the general troubleshooting steps for Office installation issues:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2822317

You may also refer to the links mentioned as reference which discusses about the similar error message and check if it helps:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/767ad9ec-417a-45ee-bf68-98cddb5bca8f/office-2013-microsoft-setup-bootstrapper-has-stopped-working

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

As I understand you are unable to install Office 2013 program on the computer and receive an error message while installing it.

Refer to the knowledge based article mentioned which contains the general troubleshooting steps for Office installation issues:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2822317

You may also refer to the links mentioned as reference which discusses about the similar error message and check if it helps:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/767ad9ec-417a-45ee-bf68-98cddb5bca8f/office-2013-microsoft-setup-bootstrapper-has-stopped-working

Same old same old.... If MSN is going to offer trail versions they should make sure the thing works. Personally as a customer, I do not have time too sit here and troubleshoot installation issues. All I can say is I'm not impressed and will not buy the product. The way things are going my next platform will be Mac.  The product is become less and less user friendly. I have the same issue trying to use an img file for Microsoft project, I am not aout to uninstall all my microsoft office products to use a trial version.... this is ridiculous. Seems every time I have an issue with a MSN product I have to spend hours to try and figure out how to fix. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i think no one in the world can solve this problem even microsoft engineers who are the creators of MS Office 2013. I installed a fresh windows 7 , updated it , i installed .net framework 4.5 with its updates and i did everything that has been suggested in internet. still getting the damn error
SETUP BOOTS TRAPPER HAS STOPPED WORKING

860 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. It worked for me.  Strange thing is that my email was still registered in office 2013.

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2024 Views 265,338 Applies to: