Office 365 work and home account on same computer with different users

I am using my laptop for home use and work use.  I have an Office 365 home license AND a Office 365 work license.  I have set up two users on my laptop; a personal user and a work user.  I signed into my Office 365 home with the personal user and downloaded Office 365.  I then switched users and I sign into my Office 365 work and downloaded Office 365 from there as I needed other apps not available on my home user such as Teams and SharePoint and OneDrive for Business.  Now, however, when I switch to my home/personal user, I can't manage my account from that Office 365.  When I try to sign in it says the user is not found on the work-school account.   I hit show additional licensing and there are 2 licenses (one home and one work) but even when I try to sign into my home account under the home license, it says I need a work account.  So apparently, all the apps in Office 365 seem to keep defaulting to the work apps.  So ? is HOW do I get the home license and the apps to work on my personal user and the work apps to work on my work user.  AGAIN, please note that I set up two users on the laptop.   AND I want to sign into my HOME license with my personal user AND then be able to sign into my WORK license on my work user.  Thanks!
|
Answer
Answer

Hello RHHamm,

Like @Palcouk said, you cannot use two types of Office 365 desktop clients on the same PC, as they are the same. Since you need other Business apps like SharePoint and OneDrive for Business, I suggest you install and activate Office 365 for Business using the business account, then add your home account to the apps. You would be able to use both work and home account on those applications.

Or you can try what @Palcouk said as a workaround.

Regards,

Rick

-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

At heart Windoze <sic> is really simple minded. When it comes to Office, it just doesn't let you install 2 bundles of the same year.  You used to be able to install  multiple versions/year, but MS has been working to make that harder.

The only workaround I can think of is to use a "VM", a virtual machine. Then you can install one of the versions of Office in a way that completely isolates it from the other. If you have Windows Pro or Business, you can use Hyper-V. Otherwise there are paid and free VMs you can use.

2018 07 20- What Is a Virtual Machine? Everything You Need to Know

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/virtual-machine-makeuseof-explains/

Virtual machines (VMs) allow you to run other operating systems within your current OS. The virtual OS will run as if it’s just another program on your computer.

This is ideal for testing out other operating systems, like Windows 10 or alternative Linux operating systems. You can also use virtual machines to run software on operating systems it wasn’t designed for. For example, you can run Windows programs on a Mac with a virtual machine.

http://www.howtogeek.com/196060/beginner-geek-how-to-create-and-use-virtual-machines/

VirtualBox

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/52-hyper-v,-virtual-pc-and-xp-mode

One might still own old software or games that aren’t supported on recent versions of Microsoft Windows, so a virtual machine could be the solution to get them running anyway. Although Virtual PC is officially only for professional or business editions of Windows, it can be installed on home editions without any problems.

Another purpose for running virtual machines would be to test and try new software.

Supported host (your OS) systems are ackground in the following table:

Apple Macintosh

Yes

Windows 2000

Yes

Windows Server 2000

Yes

Windows XP (32BIT)

Yes

Yes

Yes

Windows XP (64BIT)

Yes

Yes

Windows Server 2003 (32BIT)

Yes

Yes

Yes

Windows Server 2003 (64BIT)

Yes

Yes

Windows Vista (32/64BIT)

Yes

Yes

Windows Server 2008 (32/64BIT)

Yes

Yes

Yes

Windows 7 (32/64BIT)

Yes

Yes

Windows 8 Professional (64BIT)

Yes

Windows Server 2012 (64BIT)

Yes

Supported guest (OS running inside the VM) systems are ackground in the following table:

IBM OS/2

Yes

Yes

Linux

Yes

Yes

MS-DOS 6.x

Yes

Yes

Windows 3.x

Yes

Yes

Windows NT 3.x

Yes

Yes

Windows NT 3.x Server

Yes

Yes

Windows NT 4.0

Yes

Yes

Windows NT 4.0 Server

Yes

Yes

Yes

Windows 95/98/ME

Yes

Yes

Windows 2000

Yes

Yes

Windows 2000 Server

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Windows XP (32BIT)

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Windows XP (64BIT)

Yes

Windows Server 2003 (32BIT)

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Windows Server 2003 (64BIT)

Yes

Windows Vista (32BIT)

Yes

Yes

Yes

Windows Vista (64BIT)

Yes

Windows Server 2008 (32BIT)

Yes

Yes

Yes

Windows Server 2008 (64BIT)

Yes

Windows 7 (32BIT)

Yes

Yes

Yes

Windows 7 (64BIT)

Yes

Windows 8 (32BIT)

Yes

Windows 8 (64BIT)

Yes

Windows Server 2012 (64BIT)

Yes

Create a Test Lab using VirtualBox So That You Can Test Without Breaking Your PC

http://www.howtogeek.com/148785/how-to-create-a-test-lab-so-that-you-can-follow-the-geek-school/

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog This page lists all changes of the VirtualBox releases

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox - homepage

·    Our Geek School articles can get pretty complicated, and there’s no reason to do a ton of crazy stuff on your own desktop PC. Instead, you can just VirtualBox like we do to create virtual machines for all of your testing. Here’s how to do it.

·    You can even network multiple virtual machines together, so as long as you have a decent amount of RAM in your PC, you can fully test a scenario without messing with your PC’s settings at all. It’s a much safer way to learn!

Before we get started there are a few things that we will need:

·    A copy of VirtualBox which can be obtained here.

·    A Windows 7 ISO which can be obtained here.

·    A Windows Server 2008 R2 ISO which can be obtained here.

It's not the destination,
it's the journey.
Sometimes, though,
it's the mosquitoes.

Larson, Farside.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2021 Views 7,861 Applies to: