Office 365 - Spurious Outlook 97-2002 data file error

As of yesterday my Office 365 Outlook stopped connecting so deleted account and reconnected. Outlook will not access my Hotmail account giving the following error "Outlook currently delivers items into Outlook97-2002 data file, which does not support multilingual Unicode data". The laptop is running Windows 10 and is fully up to date. The data file created is correctly an ost. I have linked to the same account on another laptop running Office 365 with no problem. How do I fix this problem which seems nonsensical

Use the control Panel, Mail applet to add a new Profile, with prompt for Profile ticked, then add the hotmail account, once verified, finish the procees, start OL and alow to sync, before doing anything

It was unwise to delete the account because of a problem, the problem should have been diagnosed/fixed

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have already tried this and get the same result

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi IanImeson,

We just want to make a follow up regarding your concern with Office 365 Outlook. Can you now access your Hotmail account in the Outlook application? If not, we’d like to ask a few questions to properly isolate your concern:

• You mentioned that the data file was created as an OST, have you tried recreating it as PST file to see if there’s any difference. Click here for your reference.
  • How is your email account configured in the Outlook application? Is it set up as an IMAP, POP3 or via Exchange account?
  • Have you also tried setting up the email account in Outlook using a different configuration/server setting? 

Just reply to this post and we will get notified so we can immediately respond to you again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

please read the error message it states that thagt type of file is not supported by my operating systems - hence the title for this problem "spurious error" Obviously the operating system and version of Outlook does support PST but it will create a PST.

It is an Outlook 356 Account - Hotmail so setup as Exchange, as it was previously when working

I have resolved this problem by completely removing the User Account and creating - this solution was obvious as a separate user account setup on teh same machine could be configured correctly. This problem as I stated was caused by a change to teh User Account which could not be changed or even found.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We’re glad that you are now able to access your Outlook. I agree with you that the solution that you performed to resolve the issue is considered a new user account setup. There are multiple scenarios to this issue occur, sometimes can be related to how the email account configured in the application or it can even be related to how the Office application and Windows were updated.

To explain further the cause of why this issue occurs, it needs an intensive diagnostic by our Microsoft Support team. Therefore, we highly suggest that you contact our Microsoft Support team. To get in touch with them, you can Chat or request a Call using this link.

If you need more advice from us, you can get back to us by replying to this thread or create a new thread using this link if you have a different concern.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 22, 2021 Views 2,197 Applies to: