Office 365 OneNote Class Notebook - Missing Student Sections

I've looked around for a thread that covers this issue, but I haven't found it. If one exists, please let me know.

I work IT at a school district. We started using Office 365 recently, and a few teachers have been structuring their classes around OneNote Class Notebooks. Some of these teachers have had problems with students' notebook sections vanishing. One teacher had this problem during class notebook creation. Another teacher had this issue come up after the student had already used her notebook section for a few months. The latter is the problem I'll be focusing on. The student (named NM) will go to the Notebook and have access to view the Collaboration Space and Content Library, but no section to write anything. Both the teacher and I can see that NM has the correct permissions and is invited to use the notebook. We cannot see a section for NM in the notebook - I do not believe that it exists. I should mention that NM is in the 6th period notebook. (4th period notebook has a student similar to NM, and the 3rd period notebook is working fine.)

The Permissions Page

As you can see, all students have the same permissions (when I click to view "Limited Users", all are the same as well). She is very much a part of the class notebook.

Teacher View of the 6th Period notebook

The next thing I tried to do was remove the user from the notebook and add her again. Removing permissions apparently does not remove students from the notebook, so I Googled around a little. I followed these intuitive instructions for 'really' removing a student. After trying to click "Stop", I got this error:

"The user" is ambiguous. I assumed they meant NM, the one I had tried to delete, but I played around with it to make sure. I tried editing the 3rd period student list (which hasn't had any problems) typing in "test", then removing it to trigger the updated flag. In other words, I made no real edit to a notebook that was already working. I clicked "Stop", and received the same error. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with disappearing notebook sections, but maybe you guys do.

To sum up:

• NM has the same permissions as all other students
  • She is definitely a member of the notebook
  • I cannot see anything unusual or "off" about her AD account
  • She had been using her notebook for a few months without problems; something must have changed
  • Attempting to edit the student list results in an error (Surely I'm doing something wrong here...? There's no way that's the "official" way to delete a student.)

I hope the wall of text is somewhat useful - I tried to be as descriptive as possible. Please let me know if you need additional info. Thanks for any help you can give!

Hmm...it looks like my screenshots didn't get uploaded. Let's try something else.

Picture #1

All students have the same permissions: Read. One user (me), has Full Control, Design, Edit, Contribute, Read.

Picture #2

Error message after attempting to delete the user shows "The user does not exist or is not unique."

Picture #3

This picture shows a list of sections in the 6th period notebook (logged in as the teacher). All student's sections can be seen except for NM's.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble this has caused.

Since, the issue is related to OneNote Class Notebook stored on SharePoint, I kindly request you to post this in the following TechNet forum for better suggestions.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=sharepointgeneral

If you have any other queries related to Office products, feel free to reply and I'll be happy to further assist you.

Thank you.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ask your IT Admin to call or open a ticket. Or visit the Microsoft OneNote 365 Forum. for self-help or to post this question, they will be able to better assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you ever get this figured out?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 17, 2024 Views 1,019 Applies to: