Office 365 Installation inside docker container

Am trying to install office 365 in windows container. I have office trail version for a month.

Below is my dockerfile:

FROM mcr.microsoft.com/windows/servercore:ltsc2019

ADD https://download.microsoft.com/download/2/7/A/27AF1BE6-DD20-4CB4-B154-EBAB8A7D4A7E/officedeploymenttool_11901-20022.exe C:

RUN C:\officedeploymenttool_11901-20022.exe /quiet /passive /extract:C:

COPY Setup.exe c:/temp/

COPY configuration1.xml c:/temp/

RUN Setup.exe /configure configuration1.xml

ENTRYPOINT powershell

It fails at setup.exe stage, stating wrong username and password.

Below is my configuration.xml:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<Configuration ID="85****9c-59d5-4526-809e-f14*****1dc">

-<Add ForceUpgrade="TRUE" Channel="Broad" OfficeClientEdition="64">

-<Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail">

<Language ID="en-us"/>

<ExcludeApp ID="Groove"/>

<ExcludeApp ID="OneNote"/>

</Product>

</Add>

<Property Value="0" Name="SharedComputerLicensing"/>

<Property Value="TRUE" Name="PinIconsToTaskbar"/>

<Property Value="0" Name="SCLCacheOverride"/>

<Property Value="FALSE" Name="AUTOACTIVATE"/>

<Property Value="FALSE" Name="FORCEAPPSHUTDOWN"/>

<Updates Enabled="TRUE"/>

<RemoveMSI/>

-<AppSettings>

<User Value="51" Name="defaultformat" Id="L_SaveExcelfilesas" App="excel16" Type="REG_DWORD" Key="software\microsoft\office\16.0\excel\options"/>
<User Value="27" Name="defaultformat" Id="L_SavePowerPointfilesas" App="ppt16" Type="REG_DWORD" Key="software\microsoft\office\16.0\powerpoint\options"/>

<User Value="" Name="defaultformat" Id="L_SaveWordfilesas" App="word16" Type="REG_SZ" Key="software\microsoft\office\16.0\word\options"/>

</AppSettings>

<Display AcceptEULA="TRUE" Level="FALSE"/>

<Logging Level="Standard" Path="C:\log.txt"/>

</Configuration>

Hi Tanyamadaan,

We’re sorry for the inconvenience caused by the problem.

From the description, we understand that you’re encountering the problem when installing Office applications using a Dockerfile. If possible, can you try to install the Office applications using Office Deployment tool, you can refer to this article: Overview of the Office Deployment Tool.

If you want to deploy the Office applications using Dockerfile, we request you post your related query in the MSDN forum for getting a dedicated help on your problem.

Appreciate your patience and understanding.

Regards,
Chitrahaas

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Once complete conversation about this topic, kindly Mark and Vote any replies to benefit others reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Chitrahaas,

I am using office deployment tool only to install office 365.

If you see inside my dockerfile, am first downloading the deployment tool and then using the command setup.exe /configure configuration.xml

And I think the issue is that post installation using above command, in order to configure the office, it must be looking for username and password to setup office for the first time.

Can you please tell me where can I put username and password for automatic first time login. So that office gets automatically configured.

Thanks for your prompt response.

- Tanya

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tanya,

Thanks for writing back to us.

Before we replied to this thread, we tested to install the Office applications using configuration.xml provided by you in the description and we can setup and configure the Office applications without any issue. We would also like to convey that when you install the Office applications using Office Deployment Tool, it won’t ask for Office 365 account, password and we need to activate the Office applications once after it is installed. Here is screenshots:

Configuration XML used at our end: (we named it as test)

After running the command setup.exe /configure test.xml

After finishing:

Here are steps we had followed (we didn’t use the Dockerfile):

a. Downloaded Office Deployment Took via this link and run it. It asks you select the location to extract them, specify a location as per your requirement.

b. Run Command Prompt as administrator and make the directory to the location where you extracted the configuration files.

c. Open the Configuration file in Notepad and copy the XML file you’re having into it> Save it.

d. Now enter the command setup.exe /download Configuration.xml”(Replace the Configuration with name of your file) and run it.

e. It takes some time to download and after finishing it run the following command setup.exe /configure Configuration.xml

Note: During these steps, it didn’t ask for us to enter the Office 365 account and password.

Lastly, we couldn’t find out the attribute that allow to automatically sign into Office application for the first time.

Please give a try and let us know the result.

Thanks,
Chitrahaas

-----------------------
* Once complete conversation about this topic, kindly Mark and Vote any replies to benefit others reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tanya,

Have you tried the steps provided in my previous reply? Please let us know if there is any update at your end.

Thanks,

Chitrahaas

-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chitrahaas,

I tried running above steps using Powershell as well as Command Prompt. But it does not work. 

1. When I run " Setup.exe /download Configuration1.xml ".... It takes few time. Is there a way to validate that the command did run properly?

2. Then I tried running "Setup.exe /configure Configuration1.xml" ... It again takes some time, but does not do anything. Office is not at all installed.

Could you please let me know what is the issue that am making.

Best Regards

Tanya Madan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tanya Madan,

Thanks for writing back and sharing your situation to us.

Command “Setup.exe /download Configuration1.xml” is used to download the all the files according to attributes set in the “Configuration1.xml” and when you run this command, it creates folder called “Office” where it download the complete attribute according to the configuration file we set. To check whether its successful or not, you can right-click on folder “Office” and go to Properties to check whether its still downloading or not (Size will be around 2.37 GB). Once the downloading is completed, you can run the command “Setup.exe /configure Configuration1.xml” for installing the Office.

So, can you please check the size of Office folder to confirm whether its downloaded completely or not? And just if there is urgency to use the Office applications you can also install the Office applications from Office portal (where you can’t customize).

Appreciate your patience.

Thanks,

Chitrahaas

-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chitrahaas,

I downloaded the deployment tool and upon extraction, it downloaded Setup.exe and 3 configuration files for me (configuration-Office365-x64, configuration-Office365-x86 and configuration-Office2019Enterprise).

When I ran Setup.exe /download Configuration1.xml”, it took some time to complete, but no folder named office was created, nor any other files got downloaded. 

Also, I wanted to understand that when I download deployment tool (am not logged into Microsoft account), it extracts setup.exe file for me. It does not require licensing while downloading setup.exe for office deployment? 

I have a trail version of office 365 for 30 days, and had downloaded Setup.exe file from there. But I didn't want to download office by doing a double click on setup.exe. I want to do it through CLI.

Best Regards

Tanya Madan 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tanya Madan,

Thanks for writing back and letting us know.

Yes, it doesn’t require any license while downloading the setup.exe for Office deployment or even running the command it doesn’t prompt to sign in. It only asks for your Office account details when you open the Office applications to activate them. So, can you try to delete all the extracted file including the setup and follow the complete steps in this article: Overview of the Office Deployment Tool and check whether you can install Office.

Note: Make sure the name of Configuration file used while running the command is same for Download and Configure.

Please let us know the outcome for moving further and appreciate for you time and patience.

Regards,

Chitrahaas

-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tanya Madan,

Please let us know whether you can install Office applications? Let us know the result when you have time.

Regards,
Chitrahaas

-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 21, 2024 Views 1,231 Applies to: