Office 365 Home: How can I retrieve my Outlook contacts from a backup?

I recently had an operating system failure (Windows 8.1) and had to factory reset and reinstall my software.  I do have a full system backup via the Backblaze software (cloud backup), so I can access all of my files that were present on the system prior to doing the factory reset.

I use Microsoft Outlook in the Office 365 Home product.  I have re-added all of my email addresses to Outlook and re-attached all of the data files that I was previously using (or at least those that I know about!), but my contacts (i.e., the "People" tab) is completely empty.

Where are the contacts stored in Outlook in Office 365 Home?  What file can I extract from my backup to get my contacts back??

Thank you...

Question Info

Last updated March 6, 2020 Views 2,804 Applies to:

Contacts/People is a folder within the MS Outlook data file (Personal Folders pst file)

Within MS Outlook, click on the People shortcut what is shown in the left pane under My Contacts?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Contacts/People is a folder within the MS Outlook data file (Personal Folders pst file)

Within MS Outlook, click on the People shortcut what is shown in the left pane under My Contacts?

What I am saying is that my contacts is empty.

I have restored all of the .pst files that I know of, but is there one that is in the system files that I am not aware of?  I believe my contacts must be in some sort of hidden .pst.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

If the recovered pst file contains current mail that is/was the one that contained the Contacts

Your mail accounts were pop mail accounts? not outlook.com mail accounts?

Sorry this didn't help.

I use all IMAP accounts.

A couple are gmail accounts.  One is an everyone.net account (uclabruins.com).  There is also an AOL account.

Sorry this didn't help.

I use all IMAP accounts.

A couple are gmail accounts.  One is an everyone.net account (uclabruins.com).  There is also an AOL account.

If all your accounts using OL'2013 were IMAP accounts - then you have lost your contacts unless specifically made a backup of your contacts/calerndar items by exporting them to a PST or CSV file <OR> you explicitly added a PST file to be used as the <default data file> (which would be the PST file you'd be looking for. Judging from your description - the latter doesn't appear to be the cae.

OL'2013 uses .ost files for IMAP accounts. With multiple IMAP accounts, one of those would have been designated as the <default data file> and contained contact/calendar folders with "This Computer Only" as part of the description. .OST files get recreated whenever an IMAP account is created and the data in the folders with the description "This Computer Only" is lost.

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP 2012-2018]
http://www.contactgenie.info

Sorry this didn't help.