Office 365 Anti-Spam IP Delist Portal worked...but why?

We have a remote UNIX server out on someone's cloud...let's say it has IP address  11.22.33.44 for argument's sake....and the sender is "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***".  Yes, this is not a routable email address...but we don't need to send email back to it.

This notification process works fine on all our other servers with no problem, but not this one.  When it generates system status messages to our organization's outlook email system, it get's rejected by Microsoft Exchange with email messages saying :

.mail.protection.outlook.com[23.103.198.10] said: 550 5.7.606
    Access denied, banned sending IP [11.22.33.44]. To request removal from
    this list please visit https://sender.office.com/ and follow the
    directions.

Of course our server 11.22.33.44 is not configured to receive mail, so the process where this thing asks for mailing address, and I enter the full "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" email address fails...because that domain is not routable and mail can't come in.

However, if I enter my own personal email address :   my-name@org-domain

...I actually do get the email, and then I successfully UNBLOCKED IP address 11.22.33.44.

Wait...

How does Microsoft know that my-name@org-domain is AUTHORIZED to unblock that un-connected IP address 11.22.33.44  ??

Does this mean that if we block someone from spamming us, then they can unblock themselves, or anyone else so long as they have an email address?

Answer
Answer

Hi Mcgovhi,

I am glad to help you for your questions here.

For your first question, if you are using an email address ( like Gmail , Outlook.com etc.) to send spam emails to office 365 users, the office 365 Exchange Online Protection ( EOP) will detect the received emails with the mail headers which containing the senders email address and its IP address. If the EOP detect the emails received in office 365 are Spam, the EOP will block the sender’s IP address in the office 365 block senders list. And then if the senders send spam emails to office 365 users again, he would receive the non-delivery report messages as you mentioned in the thread.

And for your second question, when the sender removed himself from the office 365 An-ti Spam Delist portal by submitting a request, there will be the related teams to detect the sender’s IP address ( email address) and then if the sender’s IP address( email address) is not considered to send spam to office 365, it will be delisted from the office 365 block senders list. So if someone was blocked in the office 365 block senders list, he can’t  unblock it  in the Portal by themselves, and if they send spam again, their IP addresses will be blocked again.

For your reference Use the delist portal to remove yourself from the Office 365 blocked senders list > the end of the article.

If you have any other concern, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Oliver

-----------------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* We are happy and always here to help you, and share the Microsoft 365 for business online information with you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 12, 2022 Views 1,811 Applies to: