Office 2016 for Mac License Bug - "Reactivated Too Many Times on This Machine"

Hi all, 

Like some others, I am having an issue with the full version of Office 2016 for Mac that I purchased. I had the Preview version prior to the full version coming out, and I upgraded once the official version of Office 2016 came out and was limited to read-only capabilities.  Once I upgraded, I had to activate the software every time I opened either Word, Powerpoint or Excel, and it was buggy, saying there was an error with activation and then seemingly activated the full features anyways.  I tried to remedy this by uninstalling (fully, the libraries and all) and then reinstalling, and now I get this error when I try to activate (see below).  Help!! I need to use this software and I rightly paid for it and am only using it on my one Mac laptop.

Answer
Answer

That is not really much Arshad'.  

Basically all your link is saying is 6 months after I've purchased the Office 365 this looms over our head.

I have come up with a possibly solution without really answering "What in the world is happening!"

Password alteration in KeyChain Access, by Microsoft software installers.  

Here lately, for some reason, the installers for Office 2016 updates, has been messing with Office 2016 Passwords stored in KeyChain Access. The following procedure might help, also, it might not make a difference, or you may find items I suggest be changed, or have been unaffected:

1. Quit all open Applications (including Microsoft Office applications).

2. Next open KeyChain Access.

3. Click on: Passwords.

4. In the search box type in: Office.

5. There should be 3 to 4 items that appear to have a serial or code number.
    (In the Description area you should see reference to Version 15.0 or 15.2, or 15. with another number related to current 2016 series)

6. Now click on the icon with an i in the center.

7. Click on checkbox next to : Show Password.

8. Check,to see If the password you used to activate, does not show in each of the files, or is mangled.

9. If so then enter the correct Password. 

10. Repeat, above steps starting at step 5, for each addition password entry.

11. Once finished make sure to save changes.
    Quit KeyChain Access and Try word, Excel PowerPoint or OneNote.
    It's still possible you may have to enter password,
    but then only have to do so once and others should already be signed in.

12. The Key is To do this before ever opening Office 2016 each time you update to a new version of Office. If you don't do this way, then it will count against your activations.

I stumbled on this the first time Since I bought a Years subscription and know its not supposed nag with sign in each month if you pay yearly. So when I went to use word after an update I was surprised that I was not signed in. So I decided to go to KeyChain Access where I had directed it the first time to save password and always remember. That way your signed in as soon as you open. It then I stumbled across this fix.

I turned this in to What can be done better and also to the Suggestion Box sites. An actually Developer from the suggestion box sitesent me an email for more details said they would look into it. 

_________

Disclaimer:

The questions, discussions, opinions, replies & answers I create, are solely mine and mine alone, and do not reflect upon my position as a Community Moderator.

If my reply has helped, mark accordingly - Helpful or Answer
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 22, 2022 Views 876 Applies to: