Office 2016 Desktop Preview: how to remove Click-To-Run update files?

Hello all,

I have been using the Office 2016 Preview for some time on my desktop computer and I recently found (through Windows 10 Storage Sense) that a lot of space was being used in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ClickToRun folder. This folder stores the installation files for updates to the Office 2016 Preview. I want to free up some space (as each update is over 1 GB and there are 14 updates) so I wonder if I can safely delete the update install files in the ClickToRun folder.

Is there a tool or command that I can issue to the ClickToRun service that will remove old Office update installer files? Or is it safe to delete those files manually?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Answer
Answer

Hello,

Facing the same issue, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ClickToRun folder size is more than 20 GB

I have reduced it to 3.44 GB (Size on Disk 2.13 GB using drive compression) by removing all files except whatever was accessed or created in September (this month) along with the UserData folder (Empty), MachineData folder (7.3 MB) and the DeploymentConfig files (4 Kb).

This is done yesterday with no issues till now and of course I am keeping the removed files for sometime incase I need to return them back.

Regards.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 7, 2019 Views 9,733 Applies to: