Office 2016 32-bit version installed instead of 64-bit version

Why was the 32-bit version of Office 2016 Professional Plus installed automatically instead of the 64-bit version on my 64-bit Windows 10 computer?  I believe that that the installation process is supposed to automatically install the 64-bit version for 64-bit systems.  Why the lack of transparency in being able to choose which version (64 vs 32 -bit) to install?
Hi JG60625, my name is Jay, an independent advisor and I'll do my best to help today.

Office installs the 32 bits version by default even on 64 bits operative systems. This is done since it's more compatible with other applications, for example, the third-party add-ins.

The article below can help you install the 64 bits version if you want that one!

> https://support.office.com/en-us/article/choose...

Regards,
Jay.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Up until early this year, MS defaulted to installing 32 bit Office all the time. But back in the spring MS announced (Very quietly!) that it was changing the default to 64 bit.

Here is an article about that change

2019 01 11- Office 365/2019 change from 32-bit to 64-bit with little warning

https://office-watch.com/2019/office-365-2019-change-from-32-bit-to-64-bit-with-little-warning/

Microsoft Office 365/2019 installation is about to change in a big way for all users – home and business.  The default is changing from 32-bit to 64-bit software in mid-January 2019.  Microsoft is giving little warning of the change despite the compatibility risks to customers.

If you manually want to control 32/64 bit you can using this process. When you download the "Offline Installer", you also have the option of selecting 32 or 64 bit.

Use the Office offline installer (MS)

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-the-office-offline-installer-f0a85fe7-118f-41cb-a791-d59cef96ad1c?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

The Offline Installer should allow you to install Office without an internet connection (after the file is downloaded). This page also gives you the option to explicitly select 32 or 64 bit installation.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh, I'm sorry, I have been informed that the default is now 64 bits! I would recommend that you check the suggestion of Rohn since he already mentioned the offline install before me. I think that can help you solve the problem!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If I uninstall the 32-bit version & reinstall the 64-bit version, what will happen to my license?  I don't want to lose it by uninstalling.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No effect.

Your license allows you to install either version. And to switch installations between them as needed.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, I can't seem to download the offline installer.  Step 3 (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-the-office-offline-installer-f0a85fe7-118f-41cb-a791-d59cef96ad1c?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#OfficePlans=signinmsa) under "Office for home" says "In the Download and install window, select Other options."  I do not get this, I only get the following options below:

The only option I can use is "I have an Office product key", which just has a link to the original install file I used (Setup.x86.en-US_ProPlusRetail_<<product key>>_TX_PR_.exe), which I don't believe has the option to specify 32 or 64 -bit.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It appears you did not log in to the www.office.com using your email account. Look in the upper right corner to see if you are logged in.

If you, try going to the MyAccount site, log in, follow the instructions in the article you referenced:

Overview of Subscription
.         https://account.microsoft.com/services/office/overview .

This page provides an overview of licenses and / or subscriptions you have associated with your email. You can access it directly using this link, or reach it after logging in to the high level site.

Manage Devices / Shares
.        https://account.microsoft.com/services/office/billing

This page provides a list of the other email accounts you have shared a 365 Home subscription with. It also lists the computers you have Office 365 installed on and activated.  You can “remove” a computer here to free up an activation count to allow you to install and activate on another new computer.

Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was logged into my Microsoft account (snapshot below).  As I said, the offline installer option (where 32 or 64 -bit can be specified) isn't available to me, so until I can get a more concrete answer, I guess I am stuck with 32-bit Office 2016 Professional Plus.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That is Office.com.

As I suggested before, try the "myaccount" site. It is the site MS designed for "managing" your Office subscription (and MAYBE your license).  But since it is Pro Plus it may not show up there.

Overview of Subscription
.         https://account.microsoft.com/services/office/overview .

This page provides an overview of licenses and / or subscriptions you have associated with your email. You can access it directly using this link, or reach it after logging in to the high level site.

Manage Devices / Shares
.        https://account.microsoft.com/services/office/billing

This page provides a list of the other email accounts you have shared a 365 Home subscription with. It also lists the computers you have Office 365 installed on and activated.  You can “remove” a computer here to free up an activation count to allow you to install and activate on another new computer.

You have not said how you got it. Pro Plus is a limited distribution bundle, only through a "Volume" license or through the HUP, Home Use Program.  If you got it through the HUP, go back to the HUP site, at the bottom there is a "Contact Us" link. Talk to HUP specific help, they can help.

Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2024 Views 2,681 Applies to: