Office 2013 License transfer from old to new computer

Dear all. 

I have gone through mainly all Office support pages and I would appreciate a nice step by step instructions on how to transfer the Office licence from and old (yet working computer) to a new computer. I have an Office 2013 version that was bought online some months ago and I of course still have the Product Key (that I received in the confirmation email). 

The way I see it now is to:
1. Uninstall Office 2013 at the old computer
2. Go to "My office" --> "My account" from a new computer and Install the Office 2013 on the new computer
3. Do I have to make a call to the Microsoft Customer Support center? 

I would really appreciate a more detailed answer. I believe I could be interesting for other Community users too since no such detailed answer exists. 

Thank you very much,
Urban

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

First thing we need to know is exactly what type of Office license you bought.  Is it 1-computer Office 2013 or 5-computer Office 365 (2013)?  The process is very different for the 2 types of installation.  You can go into File menu > Account command. Look under the red Office logo and report the exact Office bundle name back here.

If you have an Office 365 license, these short videos should help
Initial Office 365 Install on your PC or Mac

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/office365-suite-help/install-office-on-your-pc-or-mac-with-office-365-HA102822111.aspx?CTT=1

The key thing to remember is that the 2013 license is associated with 1, presumably yours, email address.  You may use the license to install on up to 5 devices at the same time, including both PC’s and Macs. The Macs still get Office 2011 for Mac, until it is eventually upgraded.

Once you install Office 365 on a computer using your email address, you may share the installation with other Windows user ids created on that computer.

That first email address is considered the “administrator” of the license. It can “uninstall” the license from a given computer if you want to transfer the allowed installation to another computer.

Video: Activate / Deactivate your Office 365 installs

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/videos/video-managing-your-office-installs-VA103985959.aspx

Video: Install Office on more than one computer

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/support/install-office-on-more-than-one-computer-HA102901468.aspx

You can install your Office 365 2013 Home premium license on up to 5 devices. On each of those devices, multiple family members can have Windows accounts to access the Office apps you installed. You can install Office 365 Home Premium on up to five Mac or PC computers. You can even install it on a family member’s computer. Before you start, check the system requirements to make sure your computer can run Office.

Video: Adding family members to your Office 365 2013 5 installations

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/videos/video-adding-family-members-to-office-VA103985961.aspx - right at the end of this video it says after the admin sets up the Office 365 access, other user accounts on the computer can access the skydrive space. I (Rohn007) have not tested this myself.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply. 

The Office 2013 I am using is "Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013". Which means it is 1-computer license (linked to my email addres with which I sign into Microsoft account). 

The situation: I bought a new computer for my personal use, which means that I will sign into WIN8 with the email address that is linked also to the Office 2013 account. The old computer (where Office 2013 is installed at the moment) will not be used anymore... That means that the first email address (the administrator) does not change. 

Thank you. Looking forward to your reply on how to proceed with the license transfer. In case I should explain the situation more, just let me know :)

Best regards,
Urban

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Now you have to distinguish between a "retail" license and a "Product Key Card" / "PKC" license.

The Retail license had a list price of US$139, while the Product Key Card was US$10-20 less than that.

If you have a Retail license, you have the right to transfer it to the new computer. If you have the PKC, then you are out of luck. Part of the reason it is cheaper is that it is disposable. It is permanently tied to the first computer it is installed on. When that computer is sold or dies, the Office PKC license goes with it.

Assuming you have a retail license the process you have to follow is this:

1. Uninstall Office 2013 from current computer
  2. Install on new computer
  3. use same product key when prompted to do internet activation

If you are lucky, the internet activation will complete, but most likely it will not. In that case you will have to do a phone activation.  When you phone in, don't reply to the initial prompts (you'll just get the same error).  Eventually you will be given the option to talk to a live service rep.  Explain that you are transferring a retail license to a new computer. They should allow the activation to go through.

Phone Activation Process in Photos Win XP-7 Office 2003-2010

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

NOTE: you can find links to the specific activation instruction for Office or Windows in hyperlinks at the bottom of the article

If the activation process fails, you can change the activation process to telephone and call the number it provides you. Do not enter anything until the phone system offers you the option to talk to a live service rep. Explain the problem to them. You are transferring the installation from a “dead” computer, or you are getting an invalid product key and would like to know the exact reason

Microsoft Activation Centers Worldwide Telephone Numbers

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/activation-centers.aspx

How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center by telephone - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

Manually invoke Activation applet to get phone number

·         Click Start, or invoke Run dialog using <WIN > +< R>

·         in the Run Box type slui.exe 4   (you need to include the “4” to get to the right spot)

·         Select the appropriate location for an activation centre near you and call them. Except on weekends.

Activation and Registration info, phone numbers and links

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Telephone activation might take longer than activation through the Internet. You should be at your computer when you call, and you should have your software Product Key available.

1.     In the Activation Wizard, select the country/region where you reside and where you plan to use the product .

1. The wizard provides one or more telephone numbers appropriate for your selection. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.

2.     Call the Activation Center .

2.      The customer service representative asks you for your installation ID (displayed on your screen) and other relevant information. After your installation ID is verified, you receive a confirmation ID.

1.     In the Activation Wizard, type the confirmation ID in the spaces provided at the bottom of the screen, and then press ENTER .

1. Notes  

Telephone activation is not available for Trial and Subscription versions.

Use Activation Wizard to get the “Installation ID” required by Phone and Chat Help lines

do the activation method below:

·         Open Word application.

·         Click on the round Office button in the upper left corner of the screen.

·         Select "Word Options" at the bottom of the menu.

·         Select "Resources" from the left menu.

·         Click "Activate" on the right side

·         Select "I want to activate the software over the Internet" and click "Next". This will usually complete successfully and activate the software.

·         If you were unable to automatically activate over the Internet, you may select "I want to activate the software by telephone" and click "Next."

The Microsoft Activation Wizard will show you three steps:

Step 1: Select your location

Step 2: Installation ID (This will be required by the chat/phone support team from you for activation. Please provide it to them immediately)

Step 3: Confirmation ID (This will be provided by the support to you that you need to enter from boxes A to H to proceed with the activation. You may click on Next after entering the ID to complete the activation.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
Prof. Doug Fisher

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There was a change in the Microsoft policy regarding PKC transfers as of March 6 2013. This is now possible. I did this in January 2014 when I tranferred a PKC for the Office 2013 Home & Student from one computer to another.

98 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply. 

The Office 2013 I am using is "Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013". Which means it is 1-computer license (linked to my email addres with which I sign into Microsoft account). 

The situation: I bought a new computer for my personal use, which means that I will sign into WIN8 with the email address that is linked also to the Office 2013 account. The old computer (where Office 2013 is installed at the moment) will not be used anymore... That means that the first email address (the administrator) does not change. 

Thank you. Looking forward to your reply on how to proceed with the license transfer. In case I should explain the situation more, just let me know :)

Best regards,
Urban

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I would like to transfer my Office Home & Student 2013 product from my old PC to my new PC. The thing is can longer find the product key. However, I will be using the same Microsoft Account to sign on the new PC as I did on my old PC. The Old PC will essentially be wiped clean and gifted.

I am also unsure as to whether I have a "retail" license or a "Product Key Card". Is  there a way to check this?

Thanks

Ugo

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You may be in luck. Log in to office.com/myaccount and confirm that your key is associated with the email address.

Unless you have the original package or purchase confirmation there is no way for users to determine the type of license they have (nice of MS, isn't it ... ).

If you find it there, then you can use the install option in MyAccount to install on the new computer.  Make sure to first uninstall from the current computer.

Manage, download, back up, or restore Office 365 / 2016 / 2013 / 2010 / 2007

https://products.office.com/en-us/download-back-up-restore-microsoft-office-products  (you may have to scroll down)

Check out these links on that page for more information:

·      Learn more about My Account

·      Learn more about subscription management

To check Product Keys associated with Microsoft Account:

office.com/myaccount  (https://stores.office.com/myaccount/home.aspx)

Prof. Doug Fisher

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There was a change in the Microsoft policy regarding PKC transfers as of March 6 2013. This is now possible. I did this in January 2014 when I tranferred a PKC for the Office 2013 Home & Student from one computer to another.

So how did you do this?

And PKC are ones that comes preinstalled by OEM, and you're given a piece of paper containing a license?

maisar

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not all Office 2013 H&S versions preinstalled by the PC Maker, where they provided a Key are associated with an MS Account.

If that is the case with yours, you uninstall on the old PC, if working, then use the first use link here to enter your Key

https://products.office.com/en-us/download-back-up-restore-microsoft-office-products

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not all Office 2013 H&S versions preinstalled by the PC Maker, where they provided a Key are associated with an MS Account.

If that is the case with yours, you uninstall on the old PC, if working, then use the first use link here to enter your Key

https://products.office.com/en-us/download-back-up-restore-microsoft-office-products

I linked the product key with my MS account already, that is how I downloaded the office setup. Installation did not ask me for a key, but it fails at activation through internet and says that the license has been used on one device already.
maisar

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 144,480 Applies to: