No Before-Paragraph Spacing After Page Break?

I have a template in which Heading 1 is defined with significant paragraph spacing, so that when it appears at the top of a new page (after a hard page break from the previous page), it is pushed down considerably from the top margin. The purpose of this is to define the beginning of a new chapter in a long document. Has always worked flawlessly in Office 2011 for Mac, but I cannot get it to behave the same way in the Office 2016 preview. In every instance, it does not recognize the before-paragraph spacing (as if the hard page break on the previous page isn't there and it's omitting the spacing so that the heading does appear at the top of the page). Does anyone else have the same issue and is this now just default behavior, or am I missing some new trick for making this happen in Office 2016? 

Question Info

Last updated June 17, 2019 Views 1,953 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Check Word > Preferences > Compatibility. There's a "Suppress Space Before after a hard page or column break" option.

If the above checkmark seems to have has no effect, combine it with "Split apart page break and paragraph mark".

If it still has no effect, then that's not it!

Si mi respuesta te ha servido, márcala como solución o como útil.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

One thing to check is in Format> Paragraph to make sure there is no check in the box for Don't add space.... I don't know of any change in that regard. In fact, I'm surprised by your previous experience :-) Off hand I'm thinking that the difference may be related to .doc v. docx file types.

However, I believe a better solution would be to remove the page breaks & modify your Heading style to include the Page Break Before attribute {Format> paragraph - Line & Page Breaks]. Hard page breaks should be avoided except in specific situations where absolutely necessary... they're nothing but trouble :-)

As an MVP my contributions here are purely voluntary.

Please mark Yes/No as to whether a Reply answers your question.

Regards,
Bob J.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.