New Word doc option not appearing in right click menu

I am running Windows 10 and I have recently downloaded Office 365 Personal. Word 16 is working fine apart from one small inconvenience. When I right click there is no option under New for New Word document. Other apps are showing such as Publisher, Excel, Journal and text. I have tried various fixes on the web regarding adding programs to the context menu but no success. I have tried Quick Repair of Office and then re-install but the problem persists. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks. Chris.

Question Info

Last updated May 29, 2020 Views 16,168 Applies to:

Hello Chris,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Office community.

I understand you r concern and will help you out with the issue.

Let’s add the Word shortcut to the new option in the context menu through the registries. Follow the below steps to do the same.
1.       Close all the Office applications.
2.       Press Windows + R to open Run Window.
3.       In the Run window, type Regedit and click Ok.
4.       In the registry editor window browse to the location mentioned below:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx
5.       Right click on .docx and click New< Key and give the name as ShellNew.
6.       Highlight ShellNew key, on right-side pane, right-click anywhere on the blank space and select New< String Value. Give it name NullFile and press Enter.
7.       Close registry editor window, right click on the desktop and check if Word shortcut is displayed under New option in context menu.
Registry disclaimer
To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope it helps. Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

94 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately no change after following the instructions. The Word shortcut still does not appear
 when I right click on the desktop or within folders.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Is ok. I solved the problem myself. Right click on .docx showed no info under default. Entered Word 12 info and now all ok.

36 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.