"New" Outlook search at the title bar - anyone else fed up?

Hi everyone, and sorry for my strong language,

but I am really fed up with the new Outlook Search on the title bar, that appeared a couple of months ago in the Insider build.

Outlook Search used to work perfectly well for years, why did MS have to touch it really? Does anyone else feel so annoyed as well with the latest changes?

Just an example from today:

The new search bar, that has unfortunately been moved to the title bar, not only is it no functionally positioned - compared to how useful it was - but also does not work correctly:

1. I am used to typing "to:" of "from:" and the name of the person whose mail I am looking for. No autocomplete for the names here

2. I am used to typing "hasattachment:yes"; not only the autocomplete is gone (it used to come up after typing "has"), but no search results show up, even if there are emails sent to the particular person with attachments

3. the same as #2 happens when I use the "has attachments" button of the ribbon. No results are shown, although there are messages with attachments for the particular person

4. the new filter options (the ones you get when you click on the "Current folder" option at the title bar) are not consistent with what you have already typed in the search filter. E.g. I already have typed "hasattachment:yes" and I can still select "yes" in the attachment filter, so I end up for two "hasattachment:yes" options in the search bar, which of course doesn't work (not that it worked with one statement)

What a big scr*!@up of the Outlook search feature! Please revert to the previous one!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Ditto, ditto, ditto.  They messedup something that was working perfectly.  

Hello,

We're sorry to hear you're not enjoying the new search functionality. In Outlook, please go to Help>Feedback to send feedback to our engineering teams about this or anything else you don't like or even like.

Thanks.

Yes!  Didn't know that enabling the "Coming Soon" button at the top right-hand corner of my Outlook screen would produce this change but it has definitely slowed my productivity.  IT showed me that I was able to turn this off, reboot and revert to the old positioning (THANK YOU, IT people that I LOVE!!!), but what a painful couple of weeks before I realized there was a way to bail out of this disaster!  If you are dealing with this, please explore your options to revert to the old version and save yourself some time and sanity.

hi Kimberly,

the problem is that, unless feedback comes from us that this change is *terrible*, they will incorporate it in the future standard versions of Outlook, where you will not be able to switch it back.

They have managed to destroy Outlook search, which has been working like a charm for years. Terrible and sad.

completely agree with all   HATE it.    hoping I can figure out how to revert as mentioned in a previous post.   I am my own IT department!!
Hopefully it will be as simple for you as it was for me--just turning off that "Coming Soon" feature in the top, right-hand corner of my Outlook screen did the trick for me!  Update:  After this post the IT Dept of my work sent out an all-employee e-mail showing them how to disable this feature and revert to the previous view/function.  Apparently I was not the only one who was struggling with this.

Ditto Ditto Ditto.  Also, I can not longer use "paste" into the search bar.  I often need to search on something and the most expedient and prudent method was to copy and paste.  NOW without this ability - it is really slowing me down.  PLUS if I transpose letters or numbers - it gets so frustrating.  Please fix this soon.  Thanks!

We just started experiencing this with the people on "Coming Soon". They hate the new search bar. I'm showing them how to Help > Submit Feedback.

Could not agree more.  Why they are spending time on something that was working great is beyond me. 

Working on a project that requires searching many emails. It is 'horrible' for this and searching my contacts.

Spending hours going one by one thru emails.  

Contacts are worse.  

Why change!  Hope MS considers our comments. 

I agree. This new feature is so annoying, I hate it and our staff hate it.

I hope they can put it back to the way it was previously.  

Discussion Info

Last updated September 17, 2020 Views 11,663 Applies to: