Name conflict - Old name: Print_Area

Alert me
|
Edit
|
Change type
I am trying to open an Excel file using version 2016 when i open it I get the below message.

NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name. Old Name: 
Print_area. New Name: (leaves area blank for you to fill in.)

No matter what i type in the name or it OK or Cancel the file never opens 
using 2016.

It's a macro document and it works fine on a Windows but not on a Mac. 

The Excel is 2016. I have changed the file name, installed Excel 2013, saved on Excel 2003 and nothing seems to work....

Any suggestions? I can upload the document if needed it. Thank you so much.
Answer
Answer

The message you received has nothing to do with macros.

There are some reserved words in Excel. For example, you are not allowed to use the word History to name a worksheet.

The workbook you are trying to open must be quite old. At one time Print_area was not a reserved word and a named range or object is called Print_area in this workbook. Back in an older version of Excel, when you opened such a workbook having a newly off-limits reserve word Excel would rename the conflicting name for you automatically. Apparently Excel 2016 lost this capability.

Since you can open this workbook in Excel for Windows, find the object or range named Print_area and rename it. If that object or range is used in the macro, change the code to reflect the new name. Then use File > Save As and change the file type from old .xlm to the current .xlsm macro enabled file format.

Be sure to include the version number and OS version when asking your question.

59 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 60,958 Applies to: