My Word Doc will not let me do anything but look at it

I just logged into Word so i could revise and edit Resume and I can not do anything but look at it, it will not loet me resave select anything copy paste etc.. Its not in read only its not archived.. i need help please

If this happens with all documents in Word, you may have an expired trial version or a full version that hasn't been activated properly.

If it happens with a particular document, only, most likely some sort of document protection has been applied. If you are using a recent version of Word, try Review tab | Restrict Editing and see if there is a button labeled Stop Protection, which you should click. For earlier versions, try Tools | Unprotect.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

44 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

uhh there is a ton of important stuff in my doc and i can't even copy and paste it, is there a way for me to copy and paste or no?

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you send me a copy of the document, referencing this thread in the covering email message, I will investigate the issue.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HELP for A FULL DAY PLUS SOME NOW I cannot edit many of my documents, even new ones I am typing. I followed the suggestions here, and can copy and paste but cannot edit at all. There is NO review tab or anything at the top of my document, it only says "FILE TOOLS VIEW" on the left at the top the title of the doc in the middle at the top, and the close and restore size buttons on the right at the top.

I cannot WORK like this. Why are these not able to be edited and HOW can it be fixed? There is no pattern really to any of it, it's old docs I'm pulling and new docs. When i open them it wont let me edit ANYTHING.  I can't do redlining or anything but copy and paste into a new document. I cannot have 12 versions of the same document on the server just because word wont let me edit.

WHAT IS THE FIX?

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 56,749 Applies to: