My Outlook says "Need password", when I click it , it quits before prompting me for entering password and outlook stays disconnected

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 

Office version: 16.0.9029.2253 

Hi, 

My outlook stays disconnected, it says " need password" in the status bar. If I click it a window pops up with the donut running and before it can prompt me for a password it quits. Keeping the outlook in "Disconnected" state.

My credentials are working as I can use the "mail" program without issues. 

Also, if i restart my computer, outlook works without prompting me for a password. 

Can someone help. In trying to get online help, I get "An error occured" message ... 

thanks(hopefully),  

Question Info

Last updated December 7, 2019 Views 41,804 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi RAJU SOLOMON,

Please perform the following troubleshooting steps.

1.Try to start it in safe mode: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/open-office-apps-in-safe-mode-on-a-windows-pc-dedf944a-5f4b-4afb-a453-528af4f7ac72

2.Try to delete the cached credentials for Outlook saved on your PC: quite Outlook> type Credential Manager in Windows search box>choose Windows Credentials>expand the entries associated with Outlook and Office in the name and choose Remove. After that all your Outlook password will be removed and you'll need to enter it next time you restart it.

If the issue still persists, I need gather more information to further investigate the issue.

1. What is the account type? Is it your Office 365 account?
  2. Have you enabled MFA? It's a two-way authentication, such as requiring a text code in additional to your original password.
  3. Do others in your organization have the same issue?

Regards,

Leo

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Leo Zhao,

Thanks for replying so fast, kindly see the replies to steps inline,

1.Try to start it in safe mode: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/open-office-apps-in-safe-mode-on-a-windows-pc-dedf944a-5f4b-4afb-a453-528af4f7ac72

RS: Done no change, still same issue says "Needs password" but pop up doesnt stay long enough to prompt for a password. 

2.Try to delete the cached credentials for Outlook saved on your PC: quite Outlook> type Credential Manager in Windows search box>choose Windows Credentials>expand the entries associated with Outlook and Office in the name and choose Remove. After that all your Outlook password will be removed and you'll need to enter it next time you restart it.

RS: Removed all such credentials but no change when reloading outlook, refer to 1 

If the issue still persists, I need gather more information to further investigate the issue.

1. What is the account type? Is it your Office 365 account?

RS: Yes, its a 365 account.

Have you enabled MFA? It's a two-way authentication, such as requiring a text code in additional to your original password.

RS: No, I have not enabled such things, sometimes the outlook works without changing any setting like it had after restarting after first install, your online technician refused to help out. I simply restarted and it worked till now.

Do others in your organization have the same issue?

RS: No Even I dont have this issue sometimes on the same machine... :-)

I have used the mail app without any issues for the last 1 year. 

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RAJU SOLOMON,

So this issue happens intermittently, may I ask how often does it happen? To further check whether there is something wrong with your Outlook profile, please download OffCAT tool and run an analysis, then export and send the report back to me in PM (Private Message), I will further check it for you.

Regards,

Leo

If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RAJU SOLOMON,

Feel free to share the update at your convenience.

Regards,

Leo

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Leo 

will update after i download the tool 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RAJU SOLOMON,

Feel free to share any updates at your convenience.

Regards,

Leo

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I can see the issue again now, though I am able to login through outlook on my phone as well as web (owa). 

I am unable to login through outlook. 

It keeps popping up the password screen. 

I can see, No problem in the password as I am able to access the same account on phone as well on the web (on the same laptop) with my password( I havent changed it for some time now). 

I have the offcat export sent the offcat file to Leo Zhao MSFT  through private message. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RAJU SOLOMON,

There is no obvious error in the OffCAT result, given the situation, please try to create a new profile to test if the issue is related to corrupted Outlook Data Files. After creating the new profile, log on the affected account in the new profile and check if the issue recurs. To create a new profile: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-an-outlook-profile-f544c1ba-3352-4b3b-be0b-8d42a540459d (Note: please do not delete the old profile in case your data get lost, this step is just narrow down the cause of the issue).

Regards,

Leo

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RAJU SOLOMON,

How are things going? Do you need further assistance?

Regards,

Leo 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I recently solved this issue in our environment (Windows 10 Pro with an Office 365 email account) by clicking the Windows button--> clicking the gear icon (settings)--> Accounts --> Access work or School (list on left side)--> If you see your any account under here other than the AD account remove it. Next time you open Outlook it will prompt for the password (actually pop up the prompt). After you enter the password, Outlook is going to ask you if you want to join it to your Windows account. Say skip for now (as if you join it to Windows, eventually the issue will return). This is an issue with two Microsoft systems not playing well together, and Microsoft really needs to find a solution as I receive a support call for this issue at least a couple of times a week. Screenshot below:

250 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.