My Microsoft Word documents won't save to my computer (Word for Mac)

Hi. I have a macbook, and haven't had an issue with Word before, but now it won't allow me to save to my computer. Basically, I'll finish up my document, save it to a file, but it won't save to the "My computer" location. It feels like I've tried everything but nothing's working and I have essays due at the end of the day, I really need to get this fixed. Thank you
Answer
Answer

Hi BellaH15,

Welcome to the Answers community.

May I know if you are getting issue with a specific Word document? For the test purpose, please create new document in Word and click Save button (or press Cmd+S) and select Desktop as a location, check if you can save the document.

You can store your Office files wherever you want, you can choose to store either on your local computer or online location. If you are saving the file for the first time, use Save option. If you see the Online Locations button, the dialog box is currently displaying a folder on your computer.

For more information, see Save a file in Office for Mac

If you want to save a file to a location on your computer other than the default folder, use Save as.

1. On the File menu, click Save as, or press Cmd + Shift + S.
  2. If the dialog box does not show a folder or folders on your computer, click On My Mac.
  3. Navigate to the folder on your computer where you want to save the file.
  4. If you want to create a new folder in the folder that you are currently viewing, click New Folder, and then enter a name for the folder.
  5. In the Save As box, enter a different file name if you want.
  6. Click Save.

Besides, please ensure your Office apps are fully updated. The latest version of Microsoft 365/ 2019 for mac is 16.44 (20121301)  16.45 (21011103). To check version, open any Office app such as Word, go to the Word menu and choose About Word.

If the version appears lower, then manually update Office apps, click Help > Check for Updates from any of the Office app to get the latest build.

If the issue persists, please provide us with the following information:

1. Please confirm the version and build of Word for mac. To get this information, open Word, go to the Word menu and choose About Word.
  2. Do you get the same issue when saving PowerPoint or Excel file?
  3. In your post, you mentioned “Basically, I'll finish up my document, save it to a file, but it won't save to the "My computer" location”, may I know what you mean by “File” here?
  4. Do you get any error? If so, please provide us with the screenshot.

Let us know the status. Have a nice day and stay safe😊

Regards,

Neha 

-----------
•Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.
•Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 17, 2024 Views 10,014 Applies to: