MSOSYNC.EXE error

I am guessing this is an Office issue from other posts. However, none of the other posts seem to exactly describe my pain!

I am running Windows 10 and Office 2016, with Project and Visio from Office 2013.

A few days ago I started to get a persistent error message: "MSOSYNC.EXE - The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application."

I wish it were that simple!

Every time Im click OK the error screen simply reappears. Worse, I cannot find MSOSYNC in Startup to turn it off. Worse, if I leave my PC running for some time it generates seemingly endless error messages. In fact, my main screen normally has a 'hole' in the middle of it the same shape as the error messages - I assume there are so many it just leaves a white oblong shape in the middle of the screen.

Making my PC completely unusable, of course.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!

|

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

The information which you have provided is not enough for us to determine the issue. Please provide us more information.

1. Did you installed Microsoft Office 2016 preview through Office 365 subscription or downloading standalone installer?

msosync.exe is launched automatically by registering itself into the Windows Task for Sync maintenance. I suggest you to repair the Microsoft Office 2016 preview and check if it helps. To do so, kindly refer the below given Microsoft link on Repair an Office application link:

https://support.office.com/en-US/Article/Repair-an-Office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Parth!

I have an Office 365 subscription, and downloaded the 2016preview version from that site.

I'll try the repair option for all my Office bits and pieces (Office 2016, Project and Visio 2013) and see if either the quick or full fixes work. I'll let you know how I get on. It may be a day or two since I'm on conference calls all day today.

piers

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Parth!

I was having the exact same issue as Piers with the same subscription version and same error and this solution seems to have fixed the error for me! Very easy fix.

My friends call me "Matty".

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 4, 2021 Views 7,457 Applies to: