MS Project - I can't see Gantt chart view anymore... file corrupted?

Hi All,

I use MS Project 2013 Professional and I have a habit to frequently save. The project file is located on the server. Something happened as I was trying to exit the file or as I was trying to save some errors popped up. Now when I open the file again it opens with a new view and I can't open gantt chart view anymore. I can open all other views including tracking gantt but not gantt chart view.

I don't know the view which the file opens with now. When you have the gantt chart view on the top there is timeline ribbon (which wasn't an available feature in project 2007). I can only see that. And if I click on another view and try to click back I can no longer come back to that view.

Even more, when I switch to another windows (example, MS Outlook) and if I try to come back to MS Project the window won't open.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Erol

Answer
Answer

Erol --

It would really help if you told us what errors you saw when you were trying to save the file.  Be that as it may, you might try a couple of things:

1. Open the project in question.
  2. Click File > Info > Organizer.
  3. In the Organizer dialog, select the Gantt Chart view in the list on the left, and then click the Copy button to copy it to the list on the right.
  4. When prompted in a warning dialog, click the Yes button to overwrite the Gantt Chart view.
  5. Select the Gantt with Timeline view on the left, and then click the Copy button to copy it to the list on the right.
  6. When prompted in a warning dialog, click the Yes button to overwrite the Gantt with Timeline view.
  7. Click the Close button.
  8. Save your project.

Does this resolve the problems you are seeing?  If not, then I am concerned that your project may have become corrupted during the process of saving it when you were seeing errors.  To resolve the corruption, you can try saving the project as an XML file, closing it, reopening it, and then creating an entirely new project using the Import Project Wizard.  Please let us know if any of this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

106 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 4, 2024 Views 34,275 Applies to: