MS Project formatting

Hi everyone, I am new to MS Project.  I have a huge task list in Google sheets.  One column is a Status that is conditionally formatted to fill with a color with the data validation for specific text from a drop down option.  When I paste the column into MS project, the fill color is lost.  Can anyone tell me how to keep the fill colors?  Pretty please?  It would take hours to do this manually 2x a week for our review meetings.  The list will live in sheets and I will have to move it over to MS Project just for the meetings.   

Hi

My name is Robert, an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you.

I understand that you want to assign color automatically to the tasks in MS project.

Please do find the following tutorial below for your reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ0fjYApdUw

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

I hope the above information helps. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Other than that, have a great time ahead!

Sincerely,

Robert

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

WendyK2,

In Project formatting is unique to a view, therefore data copied/pasted into Project from other applications will lose their source formatting.

I'm not quite sure I fully understand what you want but let me take a guess. Do you want a field column with a drop down list such that the background color of the field cell is determined by what is selected from the drop down list? If so, you won't be able to achieve that exactly with Project but you can come very close with a custom field lookup displayed as a graphical indicator.

The video referenced by Robert in his response describes how to create the custom field lookup but it doesn't show how to display a graphical indicator. In this screen shot, I created a custom lookup table for the Text1 field and then also chose to show the selected value as a graphical indicator.

In this screen shot, I select "completed" from the lookup table dropdown for "task a" and make similar selections for the other two tasks

And the end result is,

Hope this helps.

John

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Robert but the video is for a drop down list, not color.  Is there something that wold format the drop down so the cell is filled with the text and a color assigned to it? For example, if Blocked were one of the drop down items, it would fill red.  If, On Track were one of the drop down items, it would fill green.  Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks John.  I was hoping to have the text and fill appearing in the cell as my sheet contains.  snip here:

Do you know a way to have both?  Thanks so much for your time. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

WendyK2,

Yes, but it will take VBA. Let me know if you want to go that route.

John

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the reply.
I understand your concern and this possible though it may have some limitations. Please see this tutorial video for your reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeVhj6kyarg

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Please let me know if it works.

Sincerely,

Robert

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Robert,

Sorry, but conditional formatting of the cell background as referenced in the video will not give what the user requested.

John

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your time and responses gentlemen.  I think I have to look at smartsheets to see if it will do what I need.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

WendyK2,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. Yeah, Project isn't real big on graphic formatting.

John

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 1,507 Applies to: