MS OneDrive vs. McAfee LiveSafe

I just subscribed to MS 365 Family, which includes a premium version of OneDrive. This version of OneDrive provides anti-spam and anti-phishing for email. I also have McAfee LiveSafe, which has its own anti-spam and anti-phishing for email. Will these two conflict with each other as they do their jobs?

Office 365 does not feature a premium version of OneDrive and OneDrive does not have any mail account features, so where are you reading this? 

Office 365 Family is completely separate to McAfee

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I may have misunderstood the myriad of features that were flashing before my eyes early this morning; real early this morning! I probably meant Outlook. I do think it is a valid question concerning multiple installations of software that have the same features, all working simultaneously. Maybe comparing it to having a McAfee security software suite and Malwarebytes on the same computer. You had to set exclusions so Malewarebytes didn't consider McAfee as maleware. Yes, of course Office 365 Family is completely separate to McAfee. Thanks for replying!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In an attempt to decide on a course of action, I've done some quick research on this issue.

https://computer.howstuffworks.com/e-mail-messaging/question770.htm (How does the e-mail notification in my Web browser work?) writes,

"Several web browsers have extensions or options that let people know when e-mail is waiting in one or more of their inboxes. Other e-mail notification programs run independently and display a message or icon when e-mail arrives. But how do these programs work?

E-mail notification programs are very similar to the clients commonly used to send and receive e-mail. The difference is that e-mail notification applications are written specifically to check and report whether any new mail is on the server. Some programs allow people to read and even answer their mail, and others simply display a link that connects people to a web mail interface. In general, however, e-mail notification programs don't have the ability to save mail to disk or to organize messages into folders."

https://smarthelp.mcafee.com/help/mcafee/18.4/ui/total%20protection/en-us/GUID-E4DC6AC2-2C3B-4ABE-8BCA-D9DC6ADF4EEF.html (McAfee Help, Turning off spam protection) writes,

"If you are experiencing issues with your email program, you might need to disable spam protection or the Anti-Spam toolbar as part of your troubleshooting strategy.

When you disable Anti-Spam, no email is filtered. When you disable the Anti-Spam toolbar, email is filtered before it reaches your email program, but you are not fully protected from email sent via other routes, such as through your browser."

My conclusion is, if Outlook only blocks spam email heading for my inbox, then I will keep McAfee anti-spam on. If Outlook blocks email sent via other routes, then I will keep McAfee anti-spam off. I haven't found anything on the Internet concerning the later feature in Outlook.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 11, 2022 Views 385 Applies to: