MS Office Outlook 2016 unknown send error 0x80040201

For 5 days I have tried to send an update email to about 40 people (for a golf tournament). I have sent 2 emails to this list of people within the past month. Outlook would at first fail to send and then also not allow me to save my email (very frustrating). I eventually rebuilt the email and addressee list and sent again, receiving immediately an unknown send error 0x80040201 except I did not notice there was an error until the next day when I saw the email in my outbox. I tried many things suggested on various forums and nothing worked. Finally, I sent the email out to subset of the to list until it worked and discovered there was a single email address that caused a problem. I have received email from this exact email address, so what caused the problem? The person recently remarried, so I edited her contact info to reflect her new last name, even though the actual email address did not change. Somehow this caused Outlook to use some funky string of text for the email address and it immediately fails without sending the email to anyone else on the To list. I solved the problem by creating a new contact. Very frustrating. I had no way to know the issue was with one of the email addresses because when I would list the contact info for anyone in the To list, it looked fine. It was only after hitting "send" that it translated to some nonsense for that one person. I post this in case this may help someone else who runs into this problem or in case MS wants to try to fix the bug.

Brion

Hi Brion,

This unknown error may happen if there is a corrupted .nk2 file in your machine. To resolve this, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided by Steve Fan on this thread.

Feel free to post back should you need further assistance.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Katrina,

I am using Office 365 and it doesn't have a .nk2 file. By replying-all to an email and then modifying the name of one of the people on the To: list, that managed to mess up Outlook enough to cause this problem. By removing that one person from the To: list I was able to send the email and save it. Later I was able to forward the sent note to that person. Somehow Outlook must save with the email some contact info and when this got out of sync with the data in contacts, the problem showed its ugly head. And no worries regarding names.

Brion

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Brion,

There are various reasons that might cause this kind of issue. For isolation purposes, we recommend starting your Microsoft Outlook in safe mode to help us identify what causes the problem.

If the issue remains when in safe mode, we advise that you repair your Microsoft Outlook application. You may refer to the steps provided in this article on how to repair an Office application.

Let us know the outcome and if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am sorry for not being clear. I no longer have an issue and I posted to try to give someone insight into what might cause the problem in the first place. Editing a contact who was in my reply-all to-list and changing the to-list entry to show her new name that now matches the contact info, seemed to cause the problem. By deleting that entry out of the to-list, sending the email and them forwarding it to that person using the new name, worked fine - once I figured out that was what was causing the trouble.

Brion

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Brion,

We commend your effort to share the issue and at the same the solution to the issue. There are various aspects which might have caused the issue, the discrepancy may be caused by the configuration of the contact info, a discrepancy with email configuration on the email server, an update for Office, or a misbehavior with the Outlook program. The solution which resolved the issue will serve as guidepost to other community members should one of them experience the same scenario. You may give your feedback or suggestions to Outlook UserVoice here.

Do not hesitate to post your query should you need assistance.

Regards.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I experienced exactly the same problem: I did a reply all on a email, added one recipient and the emails kept failing with the error mentioned. Once I removed the person, the email went out with no problem. The recipient is someone I email regularly.

This seems to be a bug ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My solution was to convert any emails to the basic format and remove anything else. Meaning change them to *** Email address is removed for privacy *** from the contact name only. It looks like there was some Exchange information embedded from teh original Exchange server, which of course I couldn't do anything with as an external email.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2021 Views 16,310 Applies to: