MS Office Home & Business 2013 Right to Transfer License to a new computer

Can I get a confirmation from MS whether or not I can transfer my Office 2013 License to a new laptop?  My Samsung laptop is only 3 years old but it does not have the drivers to support a Win 10 upgrade (per Samsung, they don't plan to provide newer drivers).  For lots of additional reasons including quirks with Win 8.1 and performance issues, I'd like to get a new, robust laptop with Win 10 Home or Win 10 Pro and remove Office from it and transfer the license and do a re-install to the new laptop.  I currently have the Office 2013 Home & Business 2013 version on my current laptop which I purchased online in 2013, and received a Product Key to do an electronic download (no media).  Am I legally and able to transfer the license to a new laptop?  I've read so many posts about this, some say the license dies with the computer it is installed on, yet others say yes if it is a certain license type (retail) through your account settings.  I know Microsoft reversed it's license policy related to Office 2013 to allow users to transfer the license under certain conditions.  Can someone from MS verify, based on how I purchased it, if I will be able to do this?  I have my product key.

If your 2013 is associated with an MS Account you log on to that account to manage your installs, i.e de-activate on the old PC to then install on the new.

If its not associated with an MS Account you need the key and original installation media.

Its only KeyCard or OEM licenses that are tied to the first PC its installed on.

PS What exact Samsung model is it?

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, you can transfer your license to another computer. Here is an extract from my license for Home & Business:

RETAIL LICENSE TERMS.  How do I obtain a backup copy? You may order or download a backup copy of the software from microsoft.com/office/backup. You may not distribute the backup copy of the software. You may use it only to reinstall the software on the licensed computer.

Can I transfer or reassign the software to another user or computer? You may not transfer the software to another user.   You may transfer the software directly to a third party only as installed on the licensed computer, with the Certificate of Authenticity label and this agreement.  Before the transfer, that party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.  You may not retain any copies.

You may reassign this software license to a different computer any number of times, but not more than one time every 90 days. If you reassign, that other computer becomes the “licensed computer.” If you retire the licensed computer due to hardware failure, you may reassign the license sooner.

Note: You must first uninstall your Office from your Old computer

You can find your license by opening Word etc.>File>Account>About Word>View Microsoft License Terms.

Microsoft Office Professional 2021
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013
Microsoft Office Professional 2003
Windows 10 Professional
HP ProBook 470 G4

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 52 Applies to: