MS Excel Converting Hyperlinks to a Roaming Location, Breaking Them

Hello,

To save myself some time, I've created a spreadsheet where in each cell I've hyperlinked the cell to a folder on my network that I access frequently.  To add the I am right-clicking a cell and selecting the file pathway I'd like to be directed to:

R:\BD\Proposal\Client\2018\protocol

Unfortunately, this link will then spontaneously change into:

\\file\FAShares\Groups\BD\Proposal\Client\2018\protocol

--OR--

C:\Users\devonr\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\BD\Client\Protocol

The first hyperlink in the FAShares location is accessible but I'm not sure if it's legitimately linked to the original file or a copy of the file.  The second pathway becomes broken, as roaming data disappears.

I do not have the autosave feature on.  What is causing this issue and how do I prevent it?

Thank you!

Answer
Answer

Hi Devon,

I do understand the inconvenience it has made and apologize for it.

First please do not call the number provided by above It is not a Microsoft number. It might be related with SPAM activities.

As per your description, generally auto-recovery feature stores backup files in the AppData\roaming\Microsoft\Excel folder when set auto-recovery feature to every minute.  

To fix this Hyperlink loss problem please try to go to File>Options>Save and direct the autosave to default to the location that the files reside in. For some reason, your file is auto saved every 10 minutes to a folder on your hard drive named user/appdata/roaming/Microsoft/Excel by default and if that your file is accidentally closed and the autosaved version pops up; it will have the new hyperlink location as you hover. Please try tov turn off “save AutoRecover information every 10 minutes” to see the result.

Also, I have found an article that is relevant to your case. You can check the post of Bill Manville on this link:

Meanwhile, could you please capture a screenshot of your Excel File tab>Account page to let us know your Office product information.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

Best Regards

Waqas Muhammad

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 2,525 Applies to: