MS Access "Can't complete the Output operation"

I have an Access DB which has a number of reports that can be exported - mostly in .xls format. Starting the last few days, attempting to export the reports for some users results in Runtime Error 2587 - "Can't complete the output operation". This only happens with .xls. All other export formats work without issue - .pdf, .rtf, .txt. I have tried performing exports directly through the ribbon to isolate and ensure there's no syntax or similar issue with my VB code. When attempting to export through the ribbon, the error message still says "Can't complete the output operation". Again, I can export these same reports to all the other available formats from the ribbon with no issue. It's just excel causing the issue.

I cannot replicate this issue on my system which makes troubleshooting difficult. Based on the limited similar issue's I've found posted I have had the end users with this issue attempt running a repair on Office 365 and rebooting their systems with no success. I am not a system admin so my access is limited and am currently waiting on assistance from that department.

Some users are running Win 10, some Win 11. All users have the same Surface pro. All users have Office 365 installed from the same package. I've had users with this issue send me their .mdb to try on my system and the issue goes away - further indicating this is an issue with the particular devices, and not with the database itself.

Logically speaking, it sounds to me like an issue with Office but this is a little above me so looking for some guidance on how I may be able to troubleshoot such an issue, especially being that I can only attempt fixes remotely on other users' systems.

Thank you!

Answer
Answer

If you are using Office 365 Current Channel, which is Version 2206, there is an update available, which you can get by choosing File/Account/Office Updates/Update Now. This should take you to Build 15330.20264.

Can anyone who is hitting this problem update to this version, and let us know if you are still seeing a problem with import/export?

Shane Groff

Access Engineering

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 21,705 Applies to: