MS 365/Office 2021 new installs not installing Outlook desktop app

I have noticed lately that the Microsoft Outlook desktop app is not install through Microsoft 365 Family and Business versions. This occurs in Windows 10 and Windows 11. These are on new computers, computers where previous Office versions were uninstalled and installed the new Office version.

I discovered that OUTLOOK.EXE is found in the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE". I can run Outlook from double-clicking on OUTLOOK.EXE. However, if I search and run Outlook, it run the new Outlook (web version). I cannot set Outlook desktop version to default any longer. The new Outlook version is not adequate enough for business use and lacks lots of features.

Is Microsoft starting to remove Outlook desktop app? Why is this occurring? Is there a way to avoid this problem where the Outlook desktop app version installs with creating valid shortcuts?

Thanks.

|

Hello Mark, Thank you for reaching out to this forum. As a fellow Microsoft user, I'm here and ready to help you out today. I understand your concern as there issues with installing Outlook on your Windows device. You can try installing new Outlook on below link. 1.Open the Microsoft Store on Windows app. Enter the following command in run - ms-windows-store://pdp/? ProductId=9NRX63209R7B 2. Select Get. New Outlook will begin downloading. 3. When the download is finished, select Open. 4. If your accounts aren't added automatically, follow the prompts to add your account and start using new Outlook. Hope this information would be useful to you. Please feel free to get back if you need any additional info. Thank you! Ravikumar Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

Technology works best when it brings people together.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I understand your concern as there issues with installing Outlook on your Windows device.

You can try installing new Outlook on below link. [...]

Apparently you do not fully understand what you read.

The Outlook desktop app is NOT installing when installing Office 365 or Office 2021. The new Outlook is not what we need to use as it lacks lots of features.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Office 365 will have a single package and you wont be seeing individual applications like Excel, Word etc. If you have updated version of Outlook, could you please update registry in below location to use older version of Outlook. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Preferences Kindly look into below thread for additional details. https://answers.microsoft.com/thread/0a2a8f02-7088-49e2-97d8-7642486be5c4 Regards, Ravi

Technology works best when it brings people together.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't revert to Outlook Classic. When in Outlook (New) and I go to the Help menu and select Go to Classic Outlook it gives me an error message 'Windows cannot find 'outlook'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.' when I select OK it crashes Outlook (New).

When I go to search for Outlook.exe it is not on my computer at all. I am on a recently purchased laptop with Windows 11 Home installed.

I have tried the options to resolve I have found online thus far like Registry Editor and I am also missing the path they mention to try to resolve.

New Outlook is the WORST!! And I need to revert asap.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Di you resolve this issue as I am having the same problem - have reinstalled Microsoft 365 Business on my laptop but cannot find the Outlook desktop app

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hi Mark K3

Did you mange to find a solution to this i have the same issue and no desk top icons for any of the programmes. In addition i don't have the .EXE file at all in my download.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2024 Views 411 Applies to: