MS 365 Family Sharing Issue

I have 2 ea. MS family members with Outlook.com and Gmail.com accounts. When i share MS 365, their names show up 2x and there is no indicators as to which email account (Outlook.com or Gmail.com) will be given access to install MS 365. I have checked their email accounts and they have not received any emails notifying them that they have access to MS 365. All help articles indicate that they should have received a notification email to ACCEPT and they are not getting any.

What can I do to determine which email account is really being invited to share MS365?

Thanks.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You email the sharing link to any single mail address they use, its immaterial as to which one 
Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

let me explain just a little better so you understand.

Johnny has a Gmail Account

Johnny has an Outlook.com Account

Within my MS Family, Johnny is added 2 times, 1 for his Gmail account and 1 for his Outlook account.

When SHARING is selected...

Johnny is shown 2x since Johnny is within the Family 2x.

Neither time does it display....

*** Email address is removed for privacy *** 

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

So when Johnny tells me he never received an automated email from MS365 in his Gmail or Outlook accounts advising him that he has MS365 access, I start trying to investigate.

When MS 365 Help indicates that I would be provided with the opportunity to send a link to Johnny via email, and that i could choose which one to send it to, I started wondering why I was never given the opportunity to do so, since i was never presented with any such option when i shared MS365 Family with Johnny.

I removed the share with Johnny and he recieved emails notifying him that his Gmail and Outlook accounts were no longer authorized to use MS365.

When i shared with him again, i was not presented with an option for sharing, nor was Johnny sent any notification email.

When Johnny's brother Wally was approached by me, he had the same issue as Johnny.

So now that you have a better basic picture of the situation, you will understand that your quick response does not work in this instance, but thanks for the input.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft Office Professional 2021
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013
Microsoft Office Professional 2003
Windows 10 Professional
HP ProBook 470 G4

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is a specific process to be used to share Office via an emailed sharing invite link you send to them  It appears you have not used this process, as if you had the kids would have received the sharing link email invite
Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ron,

thank you for your time. Yup, been there over and over, and i am not presented with the option highlighted as #3.

When I access the SHARE link as illustrated in the content, which i found prior to your sharing herein, (thank you by the way) i am taken straight to choosing who to share with, and it looks like this:

• Johnny         Share Office (link that goes away once selected)
  • Johnny         Share Office (link that goes away once selected)
  • Wally            Share Office (link that goes away once selected)
  • Wally            Share Office (link that goes away once selected)

Then I see the following:

• Johnny         Stop Sharing
  • Johnny         Stop Sharing 
  • Wally           Stop Sharing 
  • Wally           Stop Sharing

At no time, other than if i go into MS Office/Family page, am i presented with an indicator of which email account is used to invite Johnny or Wally to share MS365.

Additionally, I have followed this section, with no results:

Help for the people you've shared your subscription with

When you share your subscription with someone, they get an email from Microsoft telling them that you've shared your Microsoft 365 Family subscription with them. All they need to do is click the Accept button in the email and go to their Microsoft account, Overview page where they can install Office, access their OneDrive storage, and more.

As mentioned above, if they don't receive the invitation, ask them to read Can't find an invitation to share Microsoft 365 Family. And if they have trouble installing Office, ask them to see Troubleshoot installing Microsoft 365, Office 2019, Office 2016, and Office 2013.

I do not know which is their Gmail.com or Outlook.com email addresses and they are not even sent an email to either domain/email address notifying them they are now able to use MS365, 

• 3. On the Share your subscription pop up, choose one:

Invite via email

Enter their email and select Invite.

The email you use to invite them should also be the email they use for their shared Microsoft 365 subscription.

Invite via link

Select the Copy button to send the link via email, text, or other message to the person you want to share with.

When they click the link and sign in with their Microsoft account, they'll be added to your subscription. If you want to share with more than one person, create a separate link for each person.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Palcouk,

As you can see, the process to SHARE is not specific, if it were I would not have been presented with the following:

As you can see, it is a pretty simple option, AND the ONLY option. 

While you were kind enough to mention 'There is a specific process to be used to share Office via an emailed sharing invite link you send to them  It appears you have not used this process, as if you had the kids would have received the sharing link email invite', you did fail at providing any specific guidance as to where 'the specific process' could be found; I will assume that was left out because you saw Ron had provided a link already, but you will see below, that was already followed and did not help.

SIMPLY, 2 points here i need help with:

1. How do i know which email domain little Johnny and little Wally can be selected for sharing MS365
  2. Why neither email domain for little Johnny and little Wally are receiving email notifications even when BOTH MS Family members of 'Johnny' and 'Wally' are selected to share MS365?

Thank you very much for your input, but if you see my very basic level description, you will see that your comments are not providing me any help to solve the issue just yet. I look forward to additional comments that may come to you with the added details i have provided herein.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Scotty, You could go to your account page and stop sharing then start again.  Or you can go even further and uninstall your Office Office 365 Family and reinstall and start again.  Other than that I suggest you contact Microsoft Office Support as they will be able to have a look at what is going on with your Office.

Learn more about Office 365 Family (Stop Sharing)

Microsoft Office Professional 2021
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013
Microsoft Office Professional 2003
Windows 10 Professional
HP ProBook 470 G4

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ron,

Thanks for your input. I am going to escalate towards MS Support, after i beat this dead horse a bit more, i hate getting beaten by something that should be soooo easy!

Have a good weekend.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did your family members check their email "trash" folders?  The invites may be there!

Scott, do you have a MS Family group set up? It is not needed and is probably causing this confusion. You may to consider disabling the group (sorry, I don't know if this is even possible).

The root of your problem is MS automation that is trying to "help" you in an idiot proof way.  Dumbing down the share options, not showing the specific email is not helpful or friendly. So somewhere, Office has picked up the idea that your

A while back another user had a loosely similar problem. They sent a share invitation to someone, who did get the invitations. But when they accepted the invite, they used 2 "shares".  So the original person unexpectedly ran out of allowed shared.  After some investigation they found that the person was using a share for Office and XBox.  They were able to cancel the XBox shares to free up shares for other people.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Rohn,

Yeah, i checked SPAM, Trash, Inbox, on the 4 ea. email accounts and the only notice received was from SKYPE, which stated, 'You now have access to Skype'. Which tells me, SOMETHING happened, but not a single email notifying about MS365 access.

I only have MS Family setup with members, no groups anywhere, as i try to keep things simple. I even have their computers and cell phones next to me, while on my computer, trying to see if there is a flash message that pops up and disappears; nothing but the Skype email comes in.

The example you provided is what i am trying to avoid by making sure i share with THE one account for Lil' Johnny and Lil' Wally, so it would be nice to know WHICH account has access.

I am thinking of this, send one SHARE to each member, have them login to MS Live, perhaps there will be some indicator to use MS365 or not? I am going to try this tonight, but the How To Support Guide is really not covering what i am seeing here.

Thanks again for your input, and for everyone's input. Seems as if this is a rare situation, lucky me!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 28, 2023 Views 952 Applies to: