Move images between Picture libraries.

Split from this thread.

Copy To and File To does not seem to work with Picture Libraries??? UI suggests only Document Libraries.

We have two Picture Libraries - one for archived and unpublished images, and another for active images (the image bank for employees and partners).

We need to copy dozens of images between them efficiently every week.

Please advice.

-Miika

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

A far better option is to use network locations. Add one for your main site and you can navigate to your library in windows explorer. Open another explorer and you can drag and drop files at will. It's slow, but that's because Sharepoint runs very slowly.- 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Miika,

Have you tried Webbrewers3's suggestions shared above? If you need further helps, feel free to reply at your convenience.

Regards,

Clark

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Yes, we tried to open Windows Explorer via the IE 11.

We could not make it work, even with Trusted Sites, etc.

Also, our media partner companies (ad agancies) needs the same method to effectively move around pictures between Picture Libraries. We cannot rely on a solution that requires users to have Administrator permissions and to tweak browser settings. Too unreliable. 

Is there a reliable way to add SPO Picture Library as a Windows network drive without IE 11?

-Miika

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You don't need admin rights but the authentication bugs in SPO can make it difficult to get network locations working. If you add external users into the mix, Sharepoint may not be a good option for you-there are just too many restrictions. Better made apps like Dropbox or Google Docs might work better.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry to hear SPO has auth problems with network locations. I guess we bumped to that too. 

Cloud drives such as Dropbox are not an option for us. We've just documented and guided customer employees and their ad agencies to use SPO Picture Libraries, and the system is online. Plus it is hard to select and dedicate to one cloud drive service, as external partners have reserved Dropbox/GDrive/OneDrive for internal purposes, and in my experience it is impossible to select one that is Ok for all current and future external parties. That's why an SPO site was selected external media handling.

I've found out that Microsoft Migration Tools supports only Document Libraries in SPO => SPO transfers.

Same is with Modern site Copy To/Move To functionalities.

Why Microsoft does no acknowledge that companies have also valuable media content in SPO that needs the same batch handling options?

So far only viable and reliable options for Picture Library => Picture Library batch copy/move/organize seem to be:

1. Via own computer with Windows Explorer drag & drop . User is required to handle .zip files (download multiple images as a .zip > extract to computer folder > upload via drag&drop > cleanup folder).
  2. Install and use SPFilezilla.

Both of those options are a bit too technical, environment reliant (Windows), require apps and install permissions. The first one is also tedious if one needs to organize/publish a lot of images daily or weekly.

-Miika

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Miika,

Thanks for your updates. I'm sorry about that you're having the trouble about copy/move Picture Libraries on SharePoint Online. I can understand that it would be very convenient if you can copy/ move Picture Libraries on SharePoint Online so that I would like to invite you to vote this post Copy and Move pictures between Picture Libraries in SharePoint Online UserVoice which is submitted by another customer. Many features have been designed or upgraded based on customers’ comments. And your votes may let the product group pay more attention to it.

Regards,

Clark

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Clark,

Thank you for the feature vote invite. It is a good system. Although that feature request was created by me a week earlier, so I cannot vote for it. 

-Miika

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Miika,

I found a workaround, if you create the Document Libraries called "Picture Libraries", save the pictures in the Document libraries. The pictures can copy/move in different Document Libraries.

Regards,

Clark

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think you are completely missing the point.

A) a document library is not a Picture Library

B) what about all of the *existing* picture libraries that people have?

regards
Martin Hatch
MCPD .Net Web Development
MCTS WSS 3.0 | MOSS 2007
Visit my Blog

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Clark,

Thanks for suggesting, but as Martin said, we cannot replace Picture Libraries with Document Libraries. Event if we wanted to. As Picture Libraries contains the all important Thumbnail view. Plus the camera information of the pictures, and other image related properties as View filters (format, dimensions, etc) to find the relevant images. Those are important features for media people. It's true that we could create add the OOTB image content type to a Document Library, but that does give all the View and Filters functionality that is available in a Picture Library (tested).

In short:

You cannot replace a Picture Library with a Document Library. 

-Miika

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2021 Views 1,084 Applies to: