Money in Excel Not Properly Connecting Accounts/Accounts Unavailable

Hello everyone,

I started setting up my Money in Excel sheet, and I have had mixed results so far. Some of my accounts loaded fine and I have been able to view the data. However, others are having problems, and they fall into three categories:

1. Some accounts are connected by login, but there are no financial accounts showing. I can see that the online account is linked but the number of accounts listed with the institution shows 0. This affects the following:
    1. Robinhood (Investments)
    2. Synchrony Financial - Consumer Center (Credit Account)
  2. One of my accounts will not let me log in through Money despite me being able to log into the account in a browser to the account itself. This affects 1 account:
    1. Ally (Auto loan account)
  3. One of my accounts lets me log in, but says there are issues linking accounts, and that a fix is being worked on. This one I don't think there is a fix for on your end, but I thought I'd list it anyway:
    1. Capital One (Auto loan and credit accounts)

If anyone is aware of how to resolve the above points I would appreciate it. I don't know if it's possible to leave feedback to Plaid, as I know that is the third-party account linking provider Microsoft is partnered with to source this data. If anyone knows a way to contact them if you are using Money in Excel that would likely be a better option.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

3. One of my accounts lets me log in, but says there are issues linking accounts, and that a fix is being worked on. This one I don't think there is a fix for on your end, but I thought I'd list it anyway:

1. Capital One (Auto loan and credit accounts)

This one I figured out. It looks like Capital One updated their security policies for third party companies to provide linking services. They stated that Plaid has not yet updated their processes to meet Capital One's security requirements, so they will be able to start linking once Plaid updates their security. Can someone from Microsoft forward this information to Plaid?

I still need answers to the other two if anyone has it. I will continue to call around to the companies to see if I can find out something from them.

27 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

I'm having a similar issue.  I have hours and hours into Money in Excel.  I just purchased it a week ago.  All my accounts connect with Plaid except for Capital One.  There are two Capital One cards used for daily expense in my household.  We cannot connect either credit card through Plaid.  I just got off the phone with a Capital One representative.  They reported back after doing some research and said Plaid was not authorized to access Capital One information.  Capital One has a list of authorized companies, but Plaid was not on the list.

On the Money for Excel's Plaid drop down list, Capital One is listed as a source for a financial connection.  

Can someone from Microsoft check into this for us? and report back? 

I really don't want to scrap all the work I have in Money for Excel, but without Capital One access, I might have to.  Capital One is our household's busiest credit cards.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having similar problems.  Some other accounts sync up but ]my accounts at Ameriprise and Vanguard do not. I am able to log in directly into my accounts at these financial institutions without any issues with 2-factor authentication. 

The whole point - and my main reason to upgrade to Microsoft 365 was this Money in Excel promise that it will get data from the US financial institutions and hence I decided not to pay for Quicken subscription. I have no doubt many other folks are experiencing similar problems. I will wait for a bit and if this does not get resolved I will be forced to cancel my subscription for Microsoft 365 and bite the bullet to go back to Quicken. 

With big names like Microsoft and Plaid, how come they can not resolve this, unless they don't give a damn about these trivial issues? Wake up Microsoft and fix it before people start associating the Microsoft brand with poor quality. 

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there RajC1,

I thought I would update you on my experience.  I don’t think anyone from Microsoft pays attention to this website.  Do you see Microsoft answering anyone's questions on this site?  I called Capital One and contacted Plaid while waiting for someone to reply here on this site.  I eventually called Microsoft Support help.  800-642-7676.  I was involved in 3 separate help sessions.  The Microsoft support guys are awesome.  But in the end, the support guys could not help me.  I ended up getting my money back for my Microsoft 365.  I had no problems getting my money back, but I’ll never recover the time I wasted.

To summarize, according to Capital One, Plaid is not authorized to connect to the Capital One system.  Microsoft doesn’t reveal their help line phone number.  I had to hunt it down.  This Microsoft support website is useless.  All this website does is confirm other folks are having the same issue that I am.  

In my opinion, Microsoft’s Money in Excel falsely promotes they can connect to Capital One.  Microsoft blames Plaid for the non-connection issue.  If Microsoft’s customer services were good, they would send out a mass email to everyone alerting subscribers of connection issues with financial institutions.  Microsoft 365 subscriptions require everyone to register their email address, so communicating with their customers should be easy.  Microsoft has the capability of good customer service, but it’s not a priority.  Again,  I want to praise the Microsoft support guys’ trouble shooting my computer and Microsoft 365 issues.  They were great, but this Plaid and financial connection problem is beyond their control to fix.

I am using another program now.  I am connecting with Capital One with no problems.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Craig,

May I ask which service you are using as an alternative? I was looking into You Need A Budget, but I'm not sure if it fits my use case.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

According to my hours of research, YNAB (You Need a Budget) is a great program.  But I'm using Personal Capital.  It's a better fit for me.  2 weeks into it - So far so good.  Personal Capital's program is free, but it was developed as a marketing tool to reel in customers toward their investment programs.  You can just ignore their solicitations if you want.  

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

July 11th and I'm still having this same issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

September 29 and I have this issue... No fix in sight. :(

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I'm having a similar issue.  I have hours and hours into Money in Excel.  I just purchased it a week ago.  All my accounts connect with Plaid except for Capital One.  There are two Capital One cards used for daily expense in my household.  We cannot connect either credit card through Plaid.  I just got off the phone with a Capital One representative.  They reported back after doing some research and said Plaid was not authorized to access Capital One information.  Capital One has a list of authorized companies, but Plaid was not on the list.

On the Money for Excel's Plaid drop down list, Capital One is listed as a source for a financial connection.  

Can someone from Microsoft check into this for us? and report back? 

I really don't want to scrap all the work I have in Money for Excel, but without Capital One access, I might have to.  Capital One is our household's busiest credit cards.

I am having the exact same issue!  I need to connect my Capital One accounts (also 2 credit cards though one is only for emergencies).  Cannot connect at all.  Is this issue being worked or will Capital One just never be connected?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Some accounts are connected by login, but there are no financial accounts showing. I can see that the online account is linked but the number of accounts listed with the institution shows 0. This affects the following:
    1. Robinhood (Investments)
    2. Synchrony Financial - Consumer Center (Credit Account)

Did you ever find the answer to this?

I believe I have a similar situation. I have a Credit union with a Checking and Savings account, however I can only see the Checking account.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2022 Views 2,823 Applies to: