Missing File - mysteriously disappeared.

Hello can anyone help me?

At home I use a Desktop. The HDD, the scratch disk for my onedrive, became undetected. after fixing it, onedrive asked to resyc it so I did.

At work, I use a laptop. When I was about to open my file "23-24 2nd Sem" it was missing.

I used my browser to access my onedrive. still the file is missing. I looked at the onedrive recycle bin. the file is not there. I tried recovery and still nothing...

So, I went home, opened my desktop, the file is still missing. I opened my Microsoft Surface with the wifi turned off. The shorcut, i think, was still there. See below image...

I went to the folder containing it, and the file seems sitting there. But I can not open it.

Upon trying, this error message pops up.

When I connected to the net, the file is not to be found anywhere.

Summary:

Missing file in the folder, no trace in recycle bin of onedrive, and no record of any activity in the one drive recovery...

|

Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for posting in the community. We are happy to help you.

According to your description, since you can see this file in the OneDrive sync folder (your second screenshot), I suggest you use the Pause function in OneDrive to pause OneDrive sync, and then try to open the Excel workbook. Check if you can open this workbook.

If you can't open the workbook after pausing sync, please point it out and let us know.

If you can open it, please click Resume, and then check if OneDrive is still stuck.

If the stuck problem still occurs after resuming sync, I suggest you pause sync and then try to copy this workbook to another local location, like Desktop. Make sure you can open the copied workbook. After that, please delete the original workbook in the OneDrive sync folder, resume sync, and go to OneDrive for Web (go to www.office.com, sign into your account, and click the OneDrive icon in the left sidebar). In OneDrive for Web, click "Add new" and upload this workbook.

We look forward to your response. Thanks for your cooperation. 

Sincerely,

George | Microsoft Community Moderator

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi George, thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestions before, but the 3rd picture always comes up. When I tried to syc all, the shortcut is now also missing.

I did not delete it.

The Desktop is my actual scratch disk, but the file is not also there.

WIth my Surface unsyc, I tried to open it but the same message comes up, the 3rd picture.

Thanks,

Emman D.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for posting back.

As you have checked the OneDrive recycle bin, I would like to confirm if you have checked the second-stage recycle bin. You can find its link at the bottom of the OneDrive recycle bin in OneDrive for Web.

If you still don't find the file, I suggest you report this problem to your tenant admin or IT team and have them raise a support ticket via Microsoft 365 Admin Center> Support> New service request. The support team there has the correct channel and resources to help you investigate more and try to restore the file at the backend.

Sorry for the inconvenience that happened to you. Appreciate your understanding and patience.

Sincerely, 

George | Microsoft Community Moderator 

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks....

so sad... the second stage recyble bin is empty too

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2024 Views 29 Applies to: