Missing "Create a Data Type Option" (Excel)

Hi support,

So I was following an online tutorial published recently by an Excel tutoring website to learn about Data Types (https://www.myonlinetraininghub.com/power-query-custom-data-types) and they mention that to do so, you need to select your data & then select "Create a Data Type" within the window (you would be able to see where it is on the first image). However, when I do so, that option is not available to me (2nd image) so I'm wondering if I had a more updated version as I installed Office on this PC around a week ago (so it wouldn't be visible to me) but your website mentions it as being in the same place so I am not sure where it would be. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I could not find anyone online with this issue.

Answer
Answer

Hi Rahul,

Thank you for sharing the experience with us.

From your description, the issue is that you cannot find Create Data Type in the Transform tab in Power

Query Editor.

Per my research, the Power Query Data Types feature is a new feature released recently.

It is in development based on the information in Microsoft 365 roadmap and may be only rolling to Current Channel of Office.

Semi-Annual Channel of Office won't have the feature until next year, not sure yet if Jan/Jun (depends on stability and other factors)

Screenshots and article for your reference: Announcing Power Query Data Types

If you are using Current channel of Office, make sure to use the latest version. You may click File>Account>Update Options>Update Now in Excel to update Office.

When I test in Current channel version 2011(13426.20332), I can find the button Create Data Type.

If you are using Current Channel and cannot find the button, please let us know and capture a full screenshot of Product Information via File>Account. Appreciate your effort .

If you are using other different channel, please wait patiently for the feature to be released in the future. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,

Tina

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 10, 2023 Views 1,438 Applies to: