Microsoft Word Spell Check

When spell checking or grammar checking on older, desktop versions of Microsoft Word, the user would get prompted with a dialog box that had a text box that contained one instance of text with either a suspected spelling mistake or a suspected grammar mistake. The user could click in that text field, edit the text to correct the mistake, and confirm the change, all within the dialog so as not to interfere with paragraph or character styles applied to the text in question. Here is an example, using Excel's spell check dialog, which is similar to what older versions of Word had.

Below is a screen grab of the Microsoft 365 implementation of the Word Spelling and Grammar feedback the user receives after s/he presses F7 to initiate Spelling and Grammar checking. Notice that the dialog window is titled "Editor". Also notice that I can, and actually have, selected the egregiously mistyped portion of the words: "Main Lobby", which Word Spell Check has correctly picked up on and put in front of me to correct. Only thing is, I cannot type in this text field to correct the obvious misspelling, nor can I type anything at all in the text field.

Q1: What good is an Editor dialog that does not permit the user to edit anything at all? All of the suggested words listed below the text field are 100% not related to the document field's contents.

A reasonable user requirement, that clearly lies within the scope of this dialog box, which Microsoft actually titled as "Editor" would to be able to in fact edit the text. If the user cannot click in said text box, edit the text, to correct the mistake, and confirm the change, then the Editor tool is misnamed at best, and at least 50% useless at worst.

Keep in mind that correcting spelling and grammar in the document itself also provides an opportunity to mess with applied character and paragraph styles. Previous versions of the Word/Office Spell Checker got this correct, by allowing a user to breeze through Spelling and Grammar mistakes, without impacting styles.

Q2: So am I missing something here? Because every time I try to type in this dialog to correct my mistakes, I get an error sound effect. I literally have to select the text in the actual Word document, and correct my mistakes there.

NOTE: I should point out that this text field gets the systems focus each time a new instance of suspected misspelling is detected. So it acts like it should be a text field the user should be able to edit in, only it doesn't let me edit.

Answer
Answer

If you want to, you can use VBA to restore the classic Spelling & Grammar dialog box. See http://www.addbalance.com/word/spell_check_dialog_instead_of_editor.htm.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 2, 2023 Views 597 Applies to: