Microsoft Word - is it possible to view Font sizes each line in a document

Hello, 

What I am looking for: 

• I am looking for a way to view the font sizes for each line in a document.
  • I want to physically view the sizes of the font in the document almost per line, similar to that of the Paragraph function
    • I know you can use the paragraph function to tell slightly by the difference in sizes per paragraph symbol.
  • What I would like to know is how to view the font sizes per line
  • I am open to other options as long as they are efficient. 
  • This would allow me to compare the document with itself to see if things are symmetrical. 

What I don't want: 

• I do not want to go line by line to view the font sizes. 
  • I do not want to highlight specific content in the document to see the sizes. 
  • I do not want to go line by line to view the font sizes of each line. 

I can elaborate on this as well. 

Example of what I am imagining: 

"ft size: 14" line 1: Blah blah blah 

"ft size: 12" line 2: Blah blah blah 

"ft size: 14" line 3: Blah blah blah 

"ft size: 15" line 4: Blah blah blah 

[This thread has been moved to the correct category by forum moderator]

There is nothing built into Word that does anything remotely like what you envision. Something might be done with a properly programmed macro, but you would need to deal with two unchangeable characteristics of Word:

• Font size can vary for each individual character. How would you handle a line in which all but one of the characters are the same size, but one character (which might be an "invisible" nonprinting character) is a different size?
  • Word, and especially Word macros, has only a very hazy idea of "a line". There is no object in the VBA object model of Word for a line; it skips directly from Character to Paragraph. How much text fits on a visible line depends in part on which printer driver is currently in use (http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com/TextReflow.htm). In the documents you want to examine, is every line a separate paragraph? That's what your example implies.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I can't imagine how that would work.  There is a feature called "Style Area" that optionally displays on the left margin of the window. it shows the paragraph style being used as the base.

Fonts, including size, are applied in general using the paragraph. Optionally you can change the font of each character using a character style or by applying the change directly. So there is no way to say that a whole line has a specific font.

In other words you have to move character by character to find font changes from the base paragraph style.

Can you tell us what it is you are try to do, why you need to see such specific details. Maybe we can suggest an alternative.

As well as viewing the selected font and size in the Home tab, you can customize the QAT to show both selected font and size (and any other attributes like bold, italic, etc.)

This screen capture shows your options for displaying formatting options like font size.  The 3 red arrows point to places you can see font attributes. In this case they are pointing to bold, but size would also be an option on the QAT.  The displayed attributes are for the insertion point.

The reveal formatting pane is very slow to update.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is one more potential option. There is a free addon tool called "Cross Eyes" for Word 2010 only. It enables a "html like" display. Similar to the WordPerfect "Reveal Codes" pane.  Unfortunately it is not working on my system right now so I can't give you a screen cap.

Reveal Codes7- Formatting Problems? Install CrossEyes -
http://www.levitjames.com/Products/CrossEyes.aspx
This tool adds a pane that converts Word formatting into HTML/WordPefect like “codes”, displaying a WordPerfect like “Reveal Codes” pane. It is a great complement to MS’s inadequate attempt in the <SHF><F1> “Reveal Formatting” pane.
We have discontinued updating some of our software, specifically CrossWords and CrossEyes.
If you are interested in downloading the free version of CrossEyes, click here. Note, this only runs in Word 2007 or Word 2010. You cannot run this software in later versions of MS Word.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 7, 2024 Views 3,789 Applies to: