Microsoft Word: How do I stop a numbered list from auto-indenting?

I design software documentation sometimes as part of my job and I use Microsoft Word to do it. My process often involves creating numbered lists of steps within tables.

However, since visual real estate on the page is scarce in software documentation, I try to keep the numbering from auto-indenting. 

This means that, whenever I start a new set of steps, or whenever I try to conjoin two lists of steps by right-clicking and choosing "Continue Numbering," the list begins indenting, and I have to use the ruler to line it up with the rest of my steps again and again, which slows me down.

My question is, how can I set Word to either:

A. Remember that I don't want my first list level to be indented?

-AND/OR (at least)-

B. "Continue Numbering" using the same indentation rules as the list I'm joining to?

Please note that I enjoy the added convenience that the automatic numbering feature of Word brings to my process and I do NOT want to turn it off.

Answer
Answer
Hi Jake,

I would recommend using the methods shown in Shauna Kelly's page:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbe...

It is a bit more work to set up but you can save it in a template once you've done that.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions or require further help.

Regards

----------------------------------
This is a link to a Word MVP website. It contains accurate safe information that I think will help you. However, as an Independent Advisor I am required to give the following notice when providing non-Microsoft links:
Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 15, 2024 Views 485 Applies to: