Microsoft Word Document won't open after multiple tries?

Hello! I recently just finished writing an essay for my college writing course when my laptop shut down. Before the laptop shut down (it kind of crashed and was acting very slow prior to the crash) my document was saved and I had AutoSave on. The document was open when the laptop shut off. However, when I restarted my laptop, the file refused to open. I kept getting the error messages shown below.

I've tried opening the file using other appliances like Google Docs but either error messages pop up or blank documents. I've tried adjusting Word's System Recovery settings. I've also tried doing "Open and Repair" to no avail. The same error messages keep popping up.

I've also noticed that when checking the properties of the doc it looks like this:

While other docs look like this:

I would also like to clarify that these error messages only appear on this specific document. I won't even let me reinstate previous versions of the doc.

I have Word Version 2210, Microsoft 365, Windows 11, and a HP laptop with a 64-bit operating system and x64-based processor.

Is there anything that I can do to get my doc back? Or is it too far gone? I'm still confused as to how this happened because my file was saved.

If you send me a copy of the document, referencing this thread in the covering email message, I will investigate the issue.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok I will thank you very much!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 1, 2023 Views 44 Applies to: