Microsoft Teams Javascript error occurred in the main process

I tried to open Teams today and got this uncaught exception

I tried restarting my computer which didn't work, so I tried uninstalling, deleting all Teams files and folders, and reinstalling, but I get this error even during the uninstall and install.

I found a question in this forum (Microsoft Teams Javascript error occurred in the main process error) and followed the advice given to that poster.

I ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth in command prompt and after that I ran sfc /scannow. The scan found and repaired corrupt files so I tried to reinstall Teams again and still got this error. So I tried the scan again while Teams was installed but it didn't find any integrity violations.

What else can I do to fix this issue?

Hi Rebekah,

Sorry for the inconvenience the problem caused for you,

Based on your description, when you try to use Microsoft Teams, an error "a javascript error occurred in the main process" occurs.

Regarding to the error, there is a chance that the Teams folder is not created successfully. To check it, please navigate to the folder location C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft and check if there is a folder named Teams. If not, please create it manually and then reopen Teams to see the result.

Besides, you can follow the steps below to clear Teams cache:

1.  Fully exit the Microsoft Teams desktop client. You can right click Teams from the Icon Tray and select ‘Quit’, or run Task Manager and fully kill the process.

2.  Go to File Explorer, and type in %appdata%\Microsoft\teams.

3.  Once in the directory, you’ll see a few of the following folders:

a.  From within ‘Application Cache’, go to Cache and delete any of the files in the Cache location.

*   %appdata%\Microsoft\teams\application cache\cache

b.  From within ‘Blob_storage’, delete any files that are located in here if any.

*   %appdata%\Microsoft\teams\blob_storage

c.  From within ‘Cache’, delete all files.

*   %appdata%\Microsoft\teams\Cache

d.  From within ‘databases’, delete all files.

*   %appdata%\Microsoft\teams\databases

e.  From within ‘GPUCache’, delete all files.

*   %appdata%\Microsoft\teams\GPUcache

f.  From within ‘IndexedDB’, delete the .db file.

*   %appdata%\Microsoft\teams\IndexedDB

g.  From within ‘Local Storage’, delete all files.

*   %appdata%\Microsoft\teams\Local Storage

h.  Lastly, from within ‘tmp’, delete any file.

*   %appdata%\Microsoft\teams\tmp

4. Once the cleanup is finally completed, you can now restart Teams and check the results.

Best regards,

Jazlyn

-----------
•Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.
•Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jazlyn,

I checked the Microsoft folder and there is a Teams folder that was created after the re-installation yesterday. Image

I have also completed the cleanup and attempted to open Teams again but still got this error twice.

And I'm sorry if this wasn't clear before, but I am unable to open the Teams application because of this error. When I try to open Teams I get this error twice and then nothing opens. I also get this error twice if I uninstall or install Teams but in these cases Teams will get uninstalled or installed.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rebekah,

Thank you for the reply.

For the error message, it is possible that Administrator Privileges caused this issue. To check it, you can try the following steps:

• Find the executable file of your program

• Right-click and click Properties

• Click the Compatibility tab

• Uncheck the box next to “Run this program as administrator“.

• Press OK

You can also try to switch to a new Windows User Profile. This method can rule out the possible reason of your current Windows User Account.

If the problem persists, since the error is related to the JavaScript, we kindly suggest you go to Microsoft Q & A community, the members and engineers in this community are more experienced in this area, so my suggestion is to post your problem in there. You will get a more detailed and professional answer to your problem there.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Jazlyn

-----------
•Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.
•Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 32,450 Applies to: