Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003

I have a new computer with a 2010 operating system.  I would like to install Microsoft Small Business Edition 2003 so that I can continue to use Publisher.  I bought the 2003 and still have the discs, product key, etc.  However I can't get past the "Product Compliance Check" because it is searching for an older operating system and won't recognize the 2010.  Help!!

I paid $279.99 originally for the 2003 edition and don't want to have to buy the 2010 just to be able to use Publisher on occasion.

Any ideas???

Answer
Answer
No "2010" OS, you must mean Windows 7.

Do you have an "Upgrade" license for 2003? Check the package and the disk. If that is the case, you have to find a older application that qualified for the upgrade offer:
  • Microsoft Office 97 Small Business Edition is installed on the computer.
  • Microsoft Office 2000 CD2 is installed on your computer, but Microsoft Office 2000 CD1 is not installed on your computer
  • Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business is not installed on the computer, and you insert the Office 2000 Small Business CD1 when you are prompted for a qualifying product.
  • The qualifying product is located on a mapped network drive and the Product Compliance Check dialog box only lists local drives.
  • Either Microsoft Office 2000 Trial Version or Microsoft Office XP Trial Version is the only Office program that is installed on the computer.
To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
  1. Run the Office 2003 Setup program.
  2. In the User Information dialog box, type your product key in the Product Key boxes, and then click OK.
  3. In the Product Compliance Check CD Key dialog box, click OK.
  4. In the Product Compliance Check dialog box, in the Drive list, click the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Office 2003 CD.
  5. Remove the Office 2003 CD from the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM, and then insert either Office XP CD1, Office 2000 CD1, or Office 97 CD1 (as appropriate to your situation). If you are using Office 2000 Small Business Edition, insert Office 2000 Small Business Edition CD2.
  6. Wait approximately 30 seconds to permit the computer's CD-ROM drive to recognize the CD that you inserted.
  7. In the Product Compliance Check dialog box, click OK.
  8. When the Microsoft Office 2003 End-User License Agreement (EULA) appears, remove the CD for the previous version of Office from the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then insert the Office 2003 CD.
  9. Click to select the I accept the terms of the License Agreement check box after you read the End-User License Agreement (EULA), and then click Next.
  10. Follow the instructions that are displayed on the screen to install Office 2003.
I Need Installation files/CD for pre 2007 version of Office, What Can I Do
  1. Find a friend (new or old) who has the right CD and is willing to lend you the CD. Unlike the very "old" DOS days when there was a signature file on the floppy, there is nothing unique on the CD to identify it. The uniqueness is provided via the Product key you use to activate it. So, you can borrow a CD without threatening their installation/activation.
  2. Ask at work if they have CD you can borrow
  3. Try to find a local "PC Computer Club". There is almost certainly a geek or three with disks you could borrow.
  4. Find a small local computer store or repair business. They often have old versions of software because they are still supporting customers using them.
  5. You could buy it online. Be very careful who you give your money to
  6. Try getting one from MS (if it works, please post back here, there are many interested people who would like to know that MS is still providing that kind of support) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/ 

Once you get the installation file, make sure you burn a copy for yourself before returning the disk

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2022 Views 5,316 Applies to: