Microsoft Office 365 will not install on my PC (Windows 7)

My Microsoft Office 365 will not install on my PC.

When I hit the install button it downloads, but when I go to run it, I get a message that says Microsoft Office has stopped working.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Good day to you. Thanks for querying in this forum.

According to your description, you cannot install Office. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

For troubleshooting, we'd like to confirm the version of your Windows computer. Is it Windows 10 or Windows 7?

If Windows 10, we'd like to confirm do you install Office by click "Install Office" button from Microsoft 365 home page? If yes, you may also try using Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant to troubleshoot the issue.

For your reference: About the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant

If Windows 7, we are sorry to say that Microsoft 365 Apps is no longer supported on Windows 7. Version 2002 is the last version of Microsoft 365 Apps that you can install on Windows 7.

You may try to use Office Deployment Tool to install Office, we suggest you refer to Sukie's reply in this thread.

If our understanding of the scenario is not consistent with yours, feel free to point it out. And if you get any error message, you can also share with us, we will continue helping you.

We appreciate your patience and understanding! Hope you are keeping safe and well.

Best regards,

Tina

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have Windows 7.

I originally bought and installed 365 back in late January 2022 and it worked fine until this morning.

Why would it have worked since January and then stop all of a sudden today?

I attempted to use the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant to troubleshoot, but that would not work either. I get the same Microsoft Office has stopped working message. Below is a snapshot of the message.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks for spending time doing test and sharing the result with us. We deeply understand the issue has affected your work. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Windows 7 is no longer a supported operation system to run Office apps, using Office on unsupported operation system my cause performance and reliability issues over time.

We can only use Office version 2002, if we try to install a newer version of Office apps, there will be an error message show up. We assume you may have an old version installed on your computer before, you get the error message after an Office update.

According to your description, it seems like you have installed Office in January. We'd like to confirm does the error message "Microsoft Office has stopped working" appear when Office asks for an update and you try to install the update?

If yes, and if Office is still on your computer and you can open an Office app such as Word, we suggest you go to stop automatically updating Office with steps below.

Go to Word > File > Account > Update options > select Disable Updates as shown below:

But if you cannot use Office app, we suggest you try using Office Deployment Tool to install Office version 2002.

You may refer to the detailed steps in Chitrahaas Nalla MSFT's reply in this thread.

Note:

In Step 2, please replace the xml file content with following code, this will help you install version 2002 of Office. It helps you install 64 bit and Current channel of Office.

If your Windows operation system is 32 bit, you need to change OfficeClientEdition to 32

<Configuration>

<Add OfficeClientEdition="64" Channel="Current" Version="16.0.12527.20278">

<Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail">

<Language ID="en-us" />

</Product>

</Add>

</Configuration>

After you install Office with Office Deployment Tool, we suggest you still stop automatically updating Office with the same steps we shared above.

Please do let us know if that works for you, we’ll be glad to provide further help.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. Hope you are keeping safe and well.

Best regards,

Tina

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Office 365 does not support in windows 7.

You need at least windows 8.1 os , supported windows OS are

Windows OS: Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2019 or Windows Server 2016.

for office 365 system requiremnets page

Microsoft 365 and Office Resources, System Requirements

I am working as a Mathematics lecturer in a PU college.
Windows11_Pro_64bit_23H2_buildno_22631.3593_MS.office365_C2R_2401_v17231.20236_Intel_i5_13500_Nvidia3060_12GB_GDDR6_RAM_32GB_5600_Storage8TB.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried this, but this error message popped up.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It worked completely fine with windows 7 from January until last week.

why would it suddenly stop?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Office installations on Windows 7 may require that you enable TLS 1.2 (see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-default-secure-protocols-in-winhttp-in-windows-c4bd73d2-31d7-761e-0178-11268bb10392).

Is this a business installation or a consumer/personal installation? You may want to try the offline installer (applies to Microsoft 365 Personal/Family) or the Office Deployment Tool (business versions).

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am now trying to install Windows 10 in order to install Microsoft 365, but I get this error once it's almost done installing. It's Error 0x80071AA8 - 0x2000A.

Any idea what I need to do?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It worked completely fine with windows 7 from January until last week.

why would it suddenly stop?

Apprently MS made a (dis)"improvement" to the Office installer to block installing on Win7 because 365 is no longer supported on Win7. They have done this sort of thing in the past.

It is MS's not so subtle way to "encourage" you to "upgrade" out of Win7.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi stephenjanes2,

Thanks for posting back and letting us know the current situation. It seems like you are trying to install Windows 10 but get error message when installing.

We deeply understand you have spent much time troubleshooting the issue. We appreciate all your time and effort.

Since now it's a Windows issue, we also notice you have post a new thread in Windows category. We recommend you focus on the Windows issue in that thread, engineers and members in Windows category are professional and will help you further.

After you finish installing Windows 10, you can directly install Office apps from Microsoft 365 home page as described in this article Download and install or reinstall Microsoft 365 or Office 2021 on a PC or Mac

If you still cannot install Office, feel free to let us know and we will continue trying best to assist you.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. Hope you are keeping safe and well.

Best Regards,

Tina

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 1, 2024 Views 18,965 Applies to: