Microsoft Office 365 Outlook does not save Sent emails

I have not used Outlook for some years as not saving Sent emails has been a continual problem through various versions of Outlook from 2007. I thought Microsoft would have fixed it by now. 

I monitor two Gmail accounts which display correctly in Thunderbird and Gmail webmail, and both apps save sent emails in a Sent folder.

I thought I would try using Outlook 365 again as there are features of Outlook I prefer, and it uses tools familiar from other Office programs.

So I set up the accounts and synchronized my emails from the other places when asked, and all my Inbox came up correctly together with new emails received today.  All my previously Sent emails displayed correctly even though they had been sent from Thunderbird or Gmail webmail so I thought maybe the issue had been fixed. However when I sent a new email today from MS Office Outlook 365 it was not recorded as being saved. So the old problem persists.

I have unchecked the File/Options/Mail/Save copies of messages in the Sent items folder, rebooted, and rechecked the File/Options/Mail/Save copies of messages in the Sent items folder again, with no change.  In the registry editor the DWord is set to 1 and attempting to access the  the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Outlook\Preferences  there was no Office\x.0\Outlook\Preferences so I could not reset per the instructions on a variety of websites.  There was nowhere to put 16 as the version.

I can't imagine I am the only one with this problem. Is there anyone who has a solution to this?

If you added a mail account using auto setup where only the email address & its password is required to verify / add the mail account the default setting is to save mail to sent.

In any version of OL the default setting is to save Sent mail to Sent.

So I cannot imagine what you have been doing all this time

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes I used the auto setup and the Save sent mail to Sent was ticked by default.

This is a relatively new computer running Windows 10 64 bit, and I have previously used versions of Office for more than 25 years off CD/DVDs. I never struck this problem before the 2007 version.

I downloaded and installed Office 365 last October on this computer and Outlook saved to the Sent folder until it suddenly stopped doing it in February 2020. I did not change anything. I have read fairly widely on the web in the past and was by no means the only one complaining.

Neville

PS.  It is interesting that messages I have sent from Gmail webmail or Thunderbird show up in the Sent folder of Outlook, but not ones sent from Outlook today, even though they show up in Gmail as sent.

I recall that Outlook 2016 was showing Sent items correctly when I was using it a couple of years ago then suddenly in February (2017 I think) it stopped showing them.  I was puzzled then as I had not altered anything.  I have unticked / rebooted/  and ticked the Save sent items with no change.

I have seen that other people complain about this so I don't think it is just me.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 30, 2020 Views 209 Applies to: