Microsoft AU Daemon -- what is this app?

I own a licensed copy of Microsoft Office, and lately, when I launch it, I get a message asking whether I want to launch Microsoft AU Daemon.  I don't know what app this is.

However, I do also see a message asking if I would like to see what the app "looks like," and I acknowledged.  It is in a folder, along with Microsoft Update.  

What, specifically, do these apps do?

Thanks,

R.

Answer
Answer
The Microsoft AU Daemon is a small piece of software that periodically checks Microsoft's servers to see if there are updates to Microsoft Office. Given that Microsoft continues to release security and other patches for Office, it is probably a good idea to leave it running (or at least remember to check manually if you disable it)

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
For the time being, you can disable this by opening any office program say Excel. In the help menu, Check for Updates and change "How would you like to check for updates" from automatic to manual. Periodically (every month), it is is recommended that you should check it manually to install any update. (The issue of periodic pop-up may get fixed in subsequent updates)
Sincerely yours,
Vijay A. Verma @ https://excelbianalytics.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 19, 2024 Views 1,383 Applies to: