Microsoft 365 - Please help to resolve 'Word cannot complete the Save due to a file permission error' issue in Word doc in windows.

Please help to resolve 'Word cannot complete the Save due to a file permission error' issue in Word doc in windows.

The file is located in SharePoint and user has full control on document. However, user is getting this error intermittently and once user encounters this error it will continue to throw the same error in subsequent tries. We do not have option to open file in safe mode and antivirus is not blocking files as we checked.

Please resolve asap.

Dear respected Madhukumara,

Good day! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you.

As per your description and error message, generally If the file from a different author than the current user, that can also cause this problem and can be fixed by changing file ownership and editing privileges as an administrator.

Can I confirm, are you able to save the document if you select a different folder into which to save it, and with a different file name?

To check if this error occur due to file name is conflicting (especially for shared/already created files), may I know have you tried to use a different filename or save the file in another format. When saving your document, try both the Save and Save As features. Restarting Word and your PC and then try to access.

Alos, Right-click the file and select Properties>Uncheck the Read-Only box to change the file type to Read-Write

In the meantime, to confirm whether this is a bug in a specific version, please provide us the version information. To check version: Open Word>File>Account>Product Information and capture a full screenshot and share here (Please mask your private information) and we will be tested on that version and verify the result with you.

Appreciate your patience and understanding and thank you for your time and cooperation.

Sincerely,

Waqas Muhammad

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Waqas,

Version being used is Professional Plus 2019.

And regarding other Queries, please find my answers below.

1. Can I confirm, are you able to save the document if you select a different folder into which to save it, and with a different file name?

As I mentioned, this is the file located in SharePoint Library which user is checking out and editing and if this issue occurs user is able to save the file into local machine.

2. To check if this error occur due to file name is conflicting (especially for shared/already created files), may I know have you tried to use a different filename or save the file in another format. When saving your document, try both the Save and Save As features.

We have already confirmed that this is unique name and there are no conflicts. We cannot try different file name as user is supposed to edit this doc only.

3. Restarting Word and your PC and then try to access.

This is a work around but cannot be doing for every document as its time consuming process.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi respected Madhukumara,

Thanks for your valuable feedback and sharing updates with us and I really appreciate your effort and your precious time doing. 

And I appreciate your kind words.

If possible, could you please sync SharePoint online document library into local pc and editing the Word document from OneDrive sync folder.

Also, could you please confirm does this problem happened to specific user machine? or other users also get the same symptom/behaviour in a same document file, it will help for us to narrow down your problem.

Your understanding and patience will be highly appreciated. I hope that you are keeping safe and well!

Sincerely,

Waqas Muhammad

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 1,156 Applies to: