Microsoft 365 Family says out of licenses, other questions

Our family has a Microsoft 365 Family account, as I understand it that's supposed to allow for six family members who can install office software. I was given a new notebook where it'd been set up with a login to the pc using my brother's login. I can see all of his documents and stuff, and I shouldn't. He understands this stuff even less than I do.

1. Does the fact that the notebook is logged in using his account mean that I have to be logged in to his msft account and will see his docs?

2. I created a new user in Microsoft 365 Family for myself. At the Assign Product Licenses step it stated that I was out of 365 Apps for business so I created the user with the "without product license" option, which notes that this may mean that I could have limited or no access to office 365. What? I thought we had up to six to use? I don't need the apps for business, only word and excel, locally installed.

3. Before I understood the issues I set up a lot of stuff in the existing profile. If I switch to my own msft loging for the notebook, will I lose all of that? Or can I keep the current login but use word and excel with my own msft account, and not see his documents?

Thanks for any help

Hello Bolo H Hi, I'm Karl and will be happy to help you today. I'm not sure I fully understand everything you have done in terms of your question but will address an important part of your question If you are logging in using your brother's login credentials, then you will see everything with your brother's account which includes OneDrive. If you change the Windows log in account to your own Microsoft Account then you would lose any settings created under your brother's log in account If your brother has a "Family" subscription, then the subscription can be shared with up to 5 other people as described in the following article (owner of account + 5 other people = 6) Share your Microsoft 365 Family subscription https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/share-your-microsoft-365-family-subscription-b389b9ce-3ae3-4a82-9017-39d79972fcba

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP 2012-2018]

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Karl that's close to all I need to know.

This part I still don't understand:

• ...At the Assign Product Licenses step it stated that I was out of 365 Apps for business so I created the user with the "without product license" option, which notes that this may mean that I could have limited or no access to office 365...

With the new user I've created, I will log in. Will I be able to install local excel and word?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To be honest, not entirely clear what steos you are following in reference to >> * ... At the Assign Product Licenses step it stated that I was out of 365 Apps for business so I created the user with the "without product license" option, which notes that this may mean that I could have limited or no access to office 365... << Assigning licenses applies to a business account when the original description referred to a MS 365 Family subscription and "assigning license" doesn't apply If you have created a new MS Account, all that needs to be done is getting a "share" invitation from the subscription owner and you accept it using your MS Account as described in the article included in the previous response. Once that;s done you can download Office from the "Services & Subscriptions" section of your MS Account. The following link will get you there https://account.microsoft.com/services

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, it is totally confusing, that's for sure, and par for the course for microsoft.

The 365 account is Family, that's for sure. One of the steps to create a new user (myself) is Assign Product Licenses. I have no idea why.

this is the step:

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Where / how exactly are you getting to that page The URL to create a new consumer Microsoft Account is the following and in no way has anything to do with assigning licenses. https://login.live.com/ *** be sure that you are logged out of any other Microsoft Account

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The admin login I was given to use is of the form *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Now that you mention is, that's just like the business msft accounts I use for work. If logged in with that account I click on Products and the main one listed is

Microsoft 365 Apps for business

So, I wonder if the account he gave me to admin this is somehow tied to a different engagement with msft, a business account?

The url for that is like

On the family admin page, do I create a new user via the term "share"? As in "Share your Microsoft 365 subscription"? If I do that,

• each person's docs will be separate?

• I'll be able to install local word etc?

• I'll be able to log in to the pc with that new account?

• Do I NEED to log in to the pc with the the pending newly created family user account, if that even amounts to a "microsoft account"? Or can I keep the current pc login, and just use the office account online with my own distinct documents etc?

That has to be it but I'll hope to hear a confirmation from you.

This has been super helpful, thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to keep this as simple as possible, for the purposes of this question, please, please forget anything to do with any business account - it simply does not apply. #1 - The way to create a personal Microsoft Account is via the link I provided in the previous reply. It is that Microsoft Account you need to use to accept the Family "share" #2 - Regarding the "Family ad,min page" So as to not get things confused with "business" terminolgy, there is no "Famuly Admin" page. "Sharing" a subscription is merely a function that is available to the owner of the subcription and must be done from the owner's Microoft Account as descibed in Share your Microsoft 365 Family subscription https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/share-your-microsoft-365-family-subscription-b389b9ce-3ae3-4a82-9017-39d79972fcba #3 - Once you accept the share invitation, you will be able to install the Office desktop apps on your computer. You do not need to log into your computer using the same Microsoft Account. A "shared" subscription is in effect the same as each person having their own Personal Micorooft 365 subscription. Each user accepting a share must use their own Microsoft Account, so everything is absolutely separate One caveat #4 - If you log into your computer using your brother's login credentials, you will have access to his OneDrive account Of you want to keep everything completely separate - don't use anyone else's Microsoft Account on your computer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think that's clear enough, thank you Karl.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You're welcome - but if you have any other questions, don't be bashful <g>

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 19, 2023 Views 106 Applies to: