mail.protection.outlook.com connection refused SMTP port 25

I run a mail server on a static IP assigned by AT&T business. The mail server is network blocked when attempting to send to outlook.com virtual domains. The mail server attempted to send a message to enphaseenergy.com which was not successful.

syslog:Sep 2 12:05:55 mail2 postfix/smtp[29924]: 4H0lgw1FdXz1LCw3: to=<*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>, relay=none, delay=1063, delays=1003/0.02/60/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to enphaseenergy-com.mail.protection.outlook.com[104.47.51.110]:25: Connection timed out)

I send a second mail to this *** Email address is removed for privacy *** from a Gmail address which is successful.

From the mail server, I attempted to connect direct to the mail server at enphaseenergy-com.mail.protection.outlook.com. This connection also timed out.

toor@mail:/var/log# telnet enphaseenergy-com.mail.protection.outlook.com 25

Trying 104.47.56.110...

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

I found an old post from 2014 of several others that are reporting being blocked

This seems to be a problem for others as there are even more posts about this issue throughout the years.

I did discover a way to be "delisted" by following this

https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsmsbl3&ct=eformts&scrx=1

However, when I do, I see an immediate block by what I believe is a CDN

Service Unavailable - DNS failureThe server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Reference #11.47761cb8.1630600765.1b8c5e3

My static IP is a subnet of a registered business network range for AT&T. My mail server has proper forward and reverse lookups as well as SPF, DMARC, and DKIM TXT records.

What's the proper process for delisting?

Also how to obtain a better reputation score so that my personal email to others aren't auto flagged as Spam? We are two people sending emails in very low volume. Because of our low volume, our mail does not get scored correctly with a reputation score because there is so little to compare to. The algorithm for auto SPAM does not work well for low volume domain email addresses.

***Moved from Outlook.com/Security, privacy, and accounts/Other***

Hello jobemma!

Welcome to Microsoft Office Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well.

We do understand your concern that you are having issues sending emails. Let’s us check on this together and sort this out. Rest assured, we will do anything in our capability to assist you with your concern.

For us to better isolate this issue, we would like to ask a few questions;

1. What specific email address you are having issues sending email?

2. Is this a new email address that you have?

3. Is this a personal email address or work/company email address?

4. How to you send or receive emails? Are you using the Outlook mail application, a Web browser or other mail clients?

5. Can you please tell us the version of license you have on Microsoft? Please follow this guide here About Office: What version of Office am I using? (microsoft.com)

To answer your questions:

For more information, you also check this article here. Email non-delivery reports in Exchange Online | Microsoft Docs

We look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

ReynaldoB

Consumer M365 Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello moderator

I appreciate your assistance Here are my numbered answers

1). As a moderator, you might be able to review my profile.. You can find the email address there.

2). I've been the registered owner of this domain name since 2007, it is not new.

3). Business is certainly conducted using this email address and domain name.

4). Email is sent and received using a postfix mail server

5). I have an Office 365 subscription

Thank you for the Delist link. I did complete the delisting request. The public IP address on my mail server was validated by running

`curl -s https://icanhazip.com` AND `wget -O - -q https://checkip.amazonaws.com` from the linux mail server CLI

It has been two hours and I continue to receive connection timeouts

toor@mail:/var/log# telnet enphaseenergy-com.mail.protection.outlook.com 25

Trying 104.47.56.110...

AND

toor@mail:/var/log# telnet outlook.com 25

Trying 40.97.128.194...

And from the postfix mail server logs

Sep 4 00:15:55 mail postfix/smtp[13948]: 4H0hmX0Z58z1LCsm: to=<*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>, relay=none, delay=139135, delays=139075/0.02/60/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to enphaseenergy-com.mail.protection.outlook.com[104.47.57.110]:25: Connection timed out)

I cannot load this resource, https://account.live.com/reputationcheck.  I receive a 404 Not Found Server Error

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /reputationcheck.

The second resource, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/improving-reputation-problems-sending-group-emails/545258cb-99c3-481c-ba11-3e38302758b9 

is talking about emails sent from the outlook.com products. It does not relate to public internet email being sent to outlook.com products.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi jobemma!

Thank you so much for your reply.

My bad with the link on reputation check, there's a period at the end that is why it has an error opening the link. Here is the correct link: https://account.live.com/reputationcheck

And with you Office license, you mentioned you have Office 365, can you please specify if this is the Microsoft 365 Family/Personal or for the business license?

I've also checked your email and was able to see it, may I ask have you tried contacting your email service provider regarding the issue? You may need to contact you ESP to check if there's no issues from your server.

Sincerely,

ReynaldoB

Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello moderator

Now when I visit https://account.live.com/reputationcheck, all I receive a a page to update my account information. I cannot actually get to /reputationcheck

I have a Microsoft 356 business license

I am my own email service provider. I can send email to all my contacts except for those at outllook.com The log server failure logs are already posted to a previous comment in this thread. I'm been administer of email servers since 1996.

What else can we check?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi jobemma!

I see, thank you for confirming that you have a Microsoft 365 business license. As our forum mainly focuses on the Office Consumer products, to make sure that you can get a more professional help, we will move this thread category to Microsoft 365 Apps for Business where you can get more professional help related to your issue.

Hope this helps and it is still best to connect with the correct team where you can get dedicated assistance, the experts there will further investigate it and provide accurate answers for you.

We highly appreciate your cooperation and understanding! We thank you for your time and participation in the community! Have a good day!

Sincerely,

ReynaldoB

Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello moderator

Let's clarify this license. I use Microsoft 365 Apps for Business through my employer. I did not obtain a Home Use license.

While I do have use of a business license, this network blocking issue is globally across the Microsoft ecosystem.

You have asked for additional information from the mail server. Here is a returned email notification sent to the my user account that could not send to a user on the Microsoft virtual ecosystem. I can successfully send mail to users a gmail.com and yahoo.com to name a few.

I am still blocked. As subscribers to Microsoft services do the administrators of enphaseenergy.com have the ability to configure blocking rules for the domains they manage?

-------------------Blocked email notification --------------------------------------------

This is the mail system at host mail.DOMAIN.COM.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>: connect to
    enphaseenergy-com.mail.protection.outlook.com[104.47.51.110]:25: Connection
    timed out

Reporting-MTA: dns; mail.DOMAIN.COM.
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 4H0hC14xCFz1LCPr
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822;*** Email address is removed for privacy ***.
Arrival-Date: Thu,  2 Sep 2021 09:11:25 -0400 (EDT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; *** Email address is removed for privacy ***
Original-Recipient: rfc822;*** Email address is removed for privacy ***
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; connect to
    enphaseenergy-com.mail.protection.outlook.com[104.47.51.110]:25: Connection
    timed out

Return-Path: <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***.>
Received: from mail (localhost [127.0.0.1])
    by mail.DOMAIN.COM. (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4H0hC14xCFz1LCPr
    for <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>; Thu,  2 Sep 2021 09:11:25 -0400 (EDT)
Authentication-Results: mail.DOMAIN.COM. (amavisd-new); dkim=pass (1024-bit key)
    reason="pass (just generated, assumed good)" header.d=cdne.net
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=DOMAIN.COM; h=to
    :message-id:subject:date:mime-version:from
    :content-transfer-encoding:content-type; s=dkim; t=1630588284;
     x=1633180285; bh=5tS5zgelNwecm5HIF7P3/NWsmOnS0yYkGIguvBjUW4o=; b=
    hmRC6s7iVPBKahMKOnuWOPHeLZvPCoiFANq4Q8o+y9S8MiX231ggzOYfcIFotNg5
    Uj1KiYjEXFgy77ETfCtfFpD4qTEf7UC7H6u2R39438iMLXAothkNGvyDXtZWfdwl
    /1zHLolf7yWsdXF2P5vbjdkaOXMvNCO1VIJ8PU8cYUM=
X-Virus-Scanned: Debian amavisd-new at mail.DOMAIN.COM.
Received: from mail.DOMAIN.COM. ([127.0.0.1])
    by mail2.cdne.net (mail.DOMAIN.COM. [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10026)
    with ESMTP id t44zTIbGWqoO for <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>;
    Thu,  2 Sep 2021 09:11:24 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1])
    by mail.DOMAIN.COM. (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id 4H0hC02MvWz1LCqd
    for <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>; Thu,  2 Sep 2021 09:11:24 -0400 (EDT)
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
    boundary=Apple-Mail-2B55493C-B100-4A04-A65E-67A4C5A9D1FF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
From: arthur <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***.>
Mime-Version: 1.0 (1.0)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 09:11:22 -0400
Subject: Box
Message-Id: <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>
To: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Close this issue. Even though my ISP said they unblocked TCP 25 outbound, they really didn't. It is now unblocked and all is well. Thank you for your support. I apologize as this was actually on me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2024 Views 13,269 Applies to: